32/36 DFEV - ID this port please

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

32/36 DFEV - ID this port please

Postby architect » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:35 pm

Hello,

I am about on install a new 32/36 tomorrow on my 78 Fiat (no smog).

Just curious if anyone can ID this nipple... do I leave it as is, plug it?

Also, how do I hook up the electric choke? I have already re-routed the water back to the block.

Is it as simple as pulling the electric connection from the old carb (32adfa) and hooking up to the new carb? See old carb below, thanks everyone!!!!

78 Fiat 124

70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat spider

Re: 32/36 DFEV - ID this port please

Postby 70spider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:42 am

I am no expert, but on my 1438 motor I simply plugged it and the carb ran fine.
1970 Fiat Spider 124 Sport aka "Pesto"
2002 Mazda Protege5
2013 Buddy 170i

architect

Postby architect » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:18 am

So further digging, the connector on the 32adfa is the "idle stop solenoid" - and this should be a good source for the electric choke?
78 Fiat 124

architect

Postby architect » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 am

70spider wrote:I am no expert, but on my 1438 motor I simply plugged it and the carb ran fine.

I believe this is a "vacuum advance port for the dizzy". Since I switched to a Fireball electric ignition, can I plug the port?
78 Fiat 124

architect

Postby architect » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:00 pm

Also - does anyone know the linkage ball size g5 or 8mm) Looks like the stock rod is about 1” to long (10” need 9”)
78 Fiat 124

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Well, yours looks a little different than my EMPI 32/36 DFEV, likely because of your fancy fuel line intake. Mine's just rubber hose with a clamp. :)

On mine, that port you point to just has a hose that goes to the top of the charcoal canister.

As for the electric choke, it just requires 12v that is only is hot with ignition. Under that yellow cap is a bimetalic coil that expand/contracts with temp. You can twist the cap with affects the coil position. It should be set so that when the engine is stone cold that the choke butterfly valves are almost (but not fully) closed in the carb throat-- some use a credit card thickness as an acceptable gap. Once the 12v line is hot (e.g. with ignition on), it will gradually cause the butterfly valves to open. They should be fully open within about a minute or so and stay that way during operation.

Check out how it works with the lunchbox air filter off first. It can be a pain to get at those screws when the carb is in place because the hard brake lines off the master cylinder can get in the way, but you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

architect

Postby architect » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Looks like the ball socket is 8mm if anyone is curious
78 Fiat 124

architect

Postby architect » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:44 pm

phaetn wrote:Well, yours looks a little different than my EMPI 32/36 DFEV, likely because of your fancy fuel line intake. Mine's just rubber hose with a clamp. :)

On mine, that port you point to just has a hose that goes to the top of the charcoal canister.

As for the electric choke, it just requires 12v that is only is hot with ignition. Under that yellow cap is a bimetalic coil that expand/contracts with temp. You can twist the cap with affects the coil position. It should be set so that when the engine is stone cold that the choke butterfly valves are almost (but not fully) closed in the carb throat-- some use a credit card thickness as an acceptable gap. Once the 12v line is hot (e.g. with ignition on), it will gradually cause the butterfly valves to open. They should be fully open within about a minute or so and stay that way during operation.

Check out how it works with the lunchbox air filter off first. It can be a pain to get at those screws when the carb is in place because the hard brake lines off the master cylinder can get in the way, but you'll get the hang of it.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
phaetn

Thanks for the big heads up! That’s an awesome description too...

BTW, I added the AN fitting for my return line. Just got to tap the supply side now.

So will the wire from the original carb suffice?
78 Fiat 124

architect

Postby architect » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:48 pm

architect wrote:
phaetn wrote:Well, yours looks a little different than my EMPI 32/36 DFEV, likely because of your fancy fuel line intake. Mine's just rubber hose with a clamp. :)

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
phaetn

BTW, I added the AN fitting for my return line. Just got to tap the supply side now.

So will the wire from the original carb suffice (idle stop silonod)?
78 Fiat 124

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 am

architect wrote:

So will the wire from the original carb suffice?

I would think the original wire would suffice, but it depends on how it operates and when it's getting power. Check with a voltmeter if it is getting +12v; you only want it to get power when ignition is on. It's the heat from the electrical wire that causes the bimetalic coil to expand and shift the choke valve positioning.

Cheers,
phaetn

Return to “Engine and Tuning”