Fiat Spider Fuel and Heat Issues

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
bcpfiat
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Spider

Fiat Spider Fuel and Heat Issues

Postby bcpfiat » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:03 pm

I have a 72 Fiat Spider 1608cc and am having several problems. I want to get your guys' opinion and see what you think. When i drive my Fiat during the hotter times of the year, typically sitting in traffic or at idle, once the car reaches around 200+ degrees, the car will shut off. The dash stays on, but the fuel pump doesn't run. After it sits to cool down, the fuel pump will turn on again and I can drive the car once more. I'm assuming I am getting vapor lock during the hot days. (I will say insulating the lines has helped a little bit) During the cooler days and nights, the fiat drives with no problems. Another thing is I have horrible MPG at around 10-12mpg, with this strong fuel and oil smell. I figured the carb is running rich but not sure if there is more to it. I know the fiats are supposed to have way better mpg and I'm not sure whether to lean towards the carburetor in this case or the fuel pump to fix both problems. In the future, I have been considering getting an upgraded carburetor, so which ones do you recommend too. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”