No fuel to Carburetor

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
DuganNukem
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Spider

No fuel to Carburetor

Postby DuganNukem » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:07 am

Ok, everyone. I need some help. I've looked through old topics but the answer may be too far back.

I purchased my 1972 124 spider last Friday and drove it about 5 miles home. Had a few issues with it missing but made it home without dying and wasn't overheating. I then attempted to drive it around the block later that night. Started up just fine...better than it ever had. Made it half way around the block before it died. There were no misses, just dead. Waited a few seconds, cranked it and it fired up, but immediately died again.

We put more fuel in the car, but ended up pushing it home (heavier than I expected!). The next day, I put a clear fuel filter on between the mechanical fuel pump and the carburetor. Cranked it for a while, but no fuel came into the filter. So, I installed a new fuel pump and changed the fuel hoses related to the pump.

This did not resolve the issue. Please help! I'm open to any ideas you may have. I am thinking about removing the gas tank, cleaning it out, blowing out the fuel lines, and looking for check valves. I also noticed a "gasoline fumes filter" (can't quite read the lettering) in the trunk, near the left quarter panel. Is this necessary? I live in Louisiana and we don't have smog and emissions testing. Is there a way I can simplify the fuel system, while fixing all of this?

Again, any help is appreciated. I just want to get it running, so I can start work on everything else!
Cheers!

DuganNukem
1972 Fiat 124 Sport Spider
2007 Audi RS4
2012 Volkswagen GLI

DuganNukem

Re: No fuel to Carburetor

Postby DuganNukem » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:22 pm

Removed and leaned out the fuel tank. The sending unit and the screen on it looked good. I used compressed air to blow out the fuel line from the engine compartment back to the tank and it was clean. Going to double check that I installed the fuel pump correctly and try again. Please let me know if any of you have other ideas for me to try.
Cheers!

DuganNukem
2007 Audi RS4
2012 Volkswagen GLI

architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Postby architect » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:42 am

Try without the fuel cap on. See what happens.

I just posted about my experience. :oops:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34583
78 Fiat 124

bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Postby bobplyler » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:39 pm

The arm in the fuel pump HAS to be OVER the eccentric on the aux shaft. It's a little hard to get it in that way.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).

DuganNukem

Postby DuganNukem » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:43 pm

bobplyler wrote:The arm in the fuel pump HAS to be OVER the eccentric on the aux shaft. It's a little hard to get it in that way.

I watched a video about the position of the aux shaft when installing the new pump. It said that the Mark on the aux pulley needed to be in the 7-8 o'clock position. I used a wrench to turn the pulley to what I thought was the right position and then installed the new fuel pump. After cranking for a while, I was still getting no fuel to the carb. I removed the pump and saw some wear on the left side of the pump arm. I think I didn't get it on the eccentric.
Going to try again and fill the bowl in the carb with fuel this time. I was told that just cranking the starter may not be high enough RPM to suck fuel after draining the lines. The bowl in the carb is also dry from the initial fuel delivery failure. I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for the feedback!
Cheers!

DuganNukem
2007 Audi RS4
2012 Volkswagen GLI

sptcoupe
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Coupe

Postby sptcoupe » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:58 pm

When you installed the clear fuel filter, did that replace the old filter? Is it possible there is an old (and clogged) filter still lurking under the car somewhere?

DuganNukem

Postby DuganNukem » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:47 am

sptcoupe wrote:When you installed the clear fuel filter, did that replace the old filter? Is it possible there is an old (and clogged) filter still lurking under the car somewhere?

No old filter that I know of. I used compressed air and blew air towards the rear of the car from the engine compartment. I had a friend check that air was coming out the other end. I removed the pump and reinstalled. This time, I left the fuel hoses off and had My GF crank the engine while I felt for air being pumped through the new fuel pump. I couldn't feel anything. Prior to installing, I held the pump in my hands, I moved the pump lever and could feel a quick burst of air. Not feeling that with it installed. Am I getting the position wrong during the installation?
Cheers!

DuganNukem
2007 Audi RS4
2012 Volkswagen GLI

Return to “Engine and Tuning”