Secondary stop question

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Secondary stop question

Postby stuartrubin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 am

I've gotten myself a little confused about the proper setting of the secondary stop set screw. From previous posts (http://www.fiatspider.com/f15/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35816) I believed that the screw was set too far in causing the idle to be permanently too high. The screw was (is still) stripped, so I could not easily (or at all) adjust it.

I took the carb off completely to see if I could get the screw out from a better angle. While off, I was expecting to see the stop screw pushing the secondary throttle open. In fact, what I saw was that the screw was backed out to the point where it wasn't making contact at all with the secondary throttle. (Forgive me if my terminology isn't 100% right.)

So, now I'm totally confused about where this should be set. In general, I've NEVER been able to get a nice, clean slow (800 RMP) idle. How much should the secondary idle be pushing it open? None? A lot? About the same as the primary idle by eyeballing the throttles?

Not that I even have a way to adjust it. If I need to force the secondary open, I can temporarily attach a little shim to effectively lengthen the set screw.

Any thoughts here? Thanks, everybody!
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein

Return to “Engine and Tuning”