No fuel from new tank????

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
kustom
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

No fuel from new tank????

Postby kustom » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:31 pm

Any help would be appreciated... My '81 stalled, and I narrowed it down to my fuel pump (seized). I installed a new Bosch, and discovered that there was no fuel coming out of the tank, going to the pump. The original tank was pretty rusty, so I figured it was plugged at the outlet and installed a new tank. Same problem with the new tank... no fuel to the pump. If I put a fluid transfer pump on the line from the tank, and manually suck fuel from the tank, copious amounts of fuel begin to flow (missing the bucket I have strategically placed and pour onto my garage floor.) Once I quickly put the line back on the pump, the car will start and run for a minute, only to stall with the same issue of no more fuel from the tank. The tank is open to atmosphere, so there shouldn't be a vacuum issue in the tank. I'm stumped. Thanks in advance!
Phill
1981 Spider
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
2007 Acura TL

rridge
Your car is a: 1981 Turbo Spider

Re: No fuel from new tank????

Postby rridge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:26 pm

On fuel injected Spiders it is very easy to crimp the rubber fuel hose where it exits the trunk. The tank takeoff was moved on the FI tank. The exit hole from the trunk was not. Modern fuel hose is thicker than the original and easier to kink on a tight radius. If that is the problem, consider using a brass 90 elbow where the line passes through the grommet to the pump.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”