32/36 DFEV on 78

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
bluespider262
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Re: 32/36 DFEV on 78

Postby bluespider262 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:07 pm

I have a 79 w/ a 32/36 and run a return line.

After swtiching to the 32/26 I had issues with the needle blowing off the seat at key on and dumping raw gas at key on (and thus would instantly flood and wouldn't start when normally it fires right up even cold) sometimes despite lowering the float more than normal etc.

Since the 32/36 doesn't have a return and I didn't want to drill/tap I did it using one of those AC delco fuel filters that includes a third fuel return nipple. These were common on jeeps in the 70s and maybe early 80s IIRC. If you can't find it let me know and I'll get the number. There's actually two options - one with the return parallel to the outlet and one with it at 90 degrees coming out the side.

The delco filter isn't metered so I pulled the metered orifice fitting off the stock 79 carb and just inserted it a few inches downstream from the fuel filter in the return line. No issues since.

dutchspiderrider
Your car is a: 1970 BS1

Postby dutchspiderrider » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Interesting thread. Just to be sure Id like to check if I understood correctly.

I converted from 1438 single carb to a 1608 double carb 40IDF.
I also switched to an electric fuel pump: cylindrical Facet Gold Flo.

1. Since the fuel pump has a max psi > 3.8, I need a return line OR a FPR or do I need both?
2. If a return line is needed, can I reuse the one installed (a thin plastic tube all the way) or install a new one and with what?
3. When I only install an FPR, do I just close the return exits on the carbs and the inlet on the fuel tank?

Thanks for the help!

architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Postby architect » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:44 pm

Update -

Just got a new tank and ran all stainless braided lines to thru the firewall.

About to install pressure regulator... and would like to buy a new carb ASAP.

I currently have a 32adfa14 (water choke). Just to confirm, a EMPI 32/36 DFEV will be a good substitute? My current set up has a rod, but I see they come with a ball connector.

Will it be as easy as just swapping and then firing up?

Also - how do you hook up an electric choke? (Besides capping the water choke lines)

Thank you!
78 Fiat 124

Return to “Engine and Tuning”