Name that Carb (and help with with an issue, please)

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
btoran
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Sport Spider

Name that Carb (and help with with an issue, please)

Postby btoran » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:27 am

I finally gave up on my Chinese 34 ADF Frankencarb. I put it together from two carbs sent to me from China since each one was broken in different places. The thing never really functioned well, and so over the winter when the car went into the shop for some suspension work, i asked them to swap it for a proper weber carb.

I expected to see an actual weber 34 adf, but got the car back with a different carb (and a different air cleaner). So, what carb is my car now sporting (see pictures below)?

I'm also having a problem i need help with. The car seems to have lots of power, but i need to feed it gas before taking my foot off the clutch from a dead stop, as well as when changing between 1-2 and 2-3 gears (by the time i get to change between 3-4 gears it seems to work well). if i don't feed in gas the car will lurch dramatically, like it's stalling, but it does recover. So, what is causing this condition and how do i get rid of it?

Also, are the jets correct (see last picture) or could they use tweaking?

1975 Fiat 124 Spider

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Name that Carb (and help with with an issue, please)

Postby So Cal Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 am

Some Weber carbs are now made in China. If your genuine Weber has a sticker rather than "Weber" cast into the top, it's a Chinese version.
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

btoran

Postby btoran » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:27 am

can you tell from the pictures which model carb i have and do you know what might be causing the problem i'm having?
1975 Fiat 124 Spider

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:43 am

it looks like a 32/36dfev. Those usually come jetted pretty well for an 1800. I can't really diagnose your running issue with the information you've provided and without knowing what the various settings are in relation to your tune. Does your installer have the equipment to measure CO?
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

btoran

Postby btoran » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:30 pm

i'm sure they do, but i'll confirm. i'll also confirm the actual model / manufacturer but wanted to see if someone here could identify it. it looks like it's jetted 160 / 185. not sure if that is a good starting position for this carb/car (1975 stock engine with smog stuff removed / stock exhaust). what is the next logical step up in terms of jets if i wanted a little extra grunt? using the existing jets, i'll reset the carb screws (idle / mix) myself to see if that helps clear up the issue. will also check plugs after i get it running a bit better.
1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Nanonevol » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Those are just your air jets. You also need to consider the main fuel jets, idle jets, emulsion tubes, and maybe accelerator jet.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Postby nelsonj » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:57 am

I wouldn't jump right to "re jetting" - start with the simple stuff first. How does the car idle? Does it stall after it warms up? This carb looks just like mine, and it has an electric choke that will mask problems until the car warms up. If it stalls after warming up, the idle screw may need adjusting.

How about your timing and your dizzy? Is is working properly and what is the static timing set at? It should be around 5-10 degrees advanced at idle. If the timing is too far retarded the car can stall. If the dizzy is not working properly, it can get "stuck" after advancing and not return to the normal advance when you are off throttle.

How is the belt to your alternator? Is it slipping and causing electrical issues?

Start with the obvious things that could cause it to stall first.

Good luck and let us know.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

btoran

Postby btoran » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 am

All good advice. Thanks. Looks like I have some issues with this new carb, which may also have been causing the issue.......

Car stalled and died yesterday afternoon with a heavy gas smell as i pulled away from a steep downhill stop sign.

Took off air filter and both carb bowls were completely full, and continued to fill.

Car towed back to shop. The culprit, according to shop, was metal filings from manufacture that jammed floats open.

New, new carb on order.

Will report back when it's installed / set.
1975 Fiat 124 Spider

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:18 pm

Indeed, I have a nearly identical carb (with a taller lunchbox airfilter, thought) and it's an EMPI 32/36 DFEV. I think the P/O may have bought it from Mark at Allison's.

If memory serves the Empi's are made under license from Weber.

There's some debate around "genuine" vs. copied Webers. If I understand correctly, even Weber itself has either moved some of their own production to China or outsourced it. Some info here:
http://genuineweber.blogspot.ca/
(not sure how accurate it is).

All the best,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids