Main Caps

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat spider

Main Caps

Postby 70spider » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Ok this may seem like a dumb inquiry, but seeing how this is my first time rebuilding a motor I thought I would check. The main caps on the 1438 are in three different sizes, the front cap (which is obvious where it goes) and a cap that is 24.3ishmm and another one a bit smaller. When I disassembled the motor I put each cap in a zip-lock with the corresponding piston number and before I took it to the machine shop removed the bearings and put them back on in this order per instruction of the machinist. However this is where it gets fuzzy. While assembling I noticed that the cap on the rear was not holding the thrust bearings in place and I thought this can't be right. so that is when I removed the caps and measured them. So where do they go? So far this is the order in which I could come up with that makes since. #1-big front bearing cap #2 &#4 the smallest ones #3(center)- the larger one #5(rear) the larger one. It seems the all match up with the their "seats" this way. So do I have it right? Also the wider bearing without the oil groove goes in the center, right? I have the manual but it simple states "re-install" the bearing caps to 58lbs. Any help, before I continue with the pistons. Thanks for reading.
1970 Fiat Spider 124 Sport aka "Pesto"
2002 Mazda Protege5
2013 Buddy 170i

BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Re: Main Caps

Postby BEEK » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:10 pm

i dont have a 1438 in front of me but, the main caps are marked where they go. they will have a notch on one side and the stampings (numbers stamped into the top of the cap) will all face the same direction as the stamping (number stamped in the block on the rear ear) in the block. worst case if you take a picture of all the caps sitting on a labeled piece of paper 1 - 5 i can help you put them in order.
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider

70spider
Your car is a: 1970 Fiat spider

Re: Main Caps

Postby 70spider » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:51 am

BEEK, I took your info and looked for the marks. Indeed they are on top of the cap left of the stamped number (1 notch, 2 notches, 3 notches, and 4 notches). I got lucky and got them in the correct order, with a prayer, when I put them on.
Many Thanks for the info. Ill post pics when I get a chance.
Front cap
Cap 1
Cap 2
Cap 3
Cap 4
1970 Fiat Spider 124 Sport aka "Pesto"
2002 Mazda Protege5
2013 Buddy 170i

Return to “Engine and Tuning”