Ignition timing question.

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
alsaleen
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Ignition timing question.

Postby alsaleen » Tue May 30, 2017 8:30 pm

So I ended up with a new distributor, and now I cannot find my plastic belt cover.... :shock:

The goal is to set the timing to15 degrees btdc at idle.....whats the best way to do this without the cover (if possible)

also my engine has this metal bracket with three prongs on the left side (facing the engine from the front bumper) is this also to set timing?

https://awesomelangenfeld.tumblr.com/post/161259185181

nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Re: Ignition timing question.

Postby nelsonj » Tue May 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Best way: Find your cover and use it and a timing light. I don't know what your set up is, but I don't think going beyond 10 degs is a great idea. I've set mine between 0 - 15 and I found 10 to be the best all around setting.

Without the cover, I only have a "hack" solution. Rotate your dizzy until the engine is just about to die at idle. My guess is you are about -10 degs. Then rotate it the other way until you have a solid idle. You are probably about 0 deg now. Note how far you turned the dizzy (between almost stalling and a slow but stead idle) call this "x degrees" of rotation. Continue rotating it in the same direction and your idle speed will pick up and when you have rotated it another "x degrees" you are around 10 BTC. Then rotate it x/2 more degrees and your at 15 BTC. Total hack - but it should will get you close.

Find your cover...
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 pm

you don't need a cover with a 2L, the timing pointer attaches to the front seal cover
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Wed May 31, 2017 7:48 am

Right. It's the 3 prong metal bracket mentioned in the first post. A little hard to see, I cleaned up the timing mark on the crank pulley and put a dab of white paint on it to make it more visible. The longest prong is TDC and the smallest one is 10 degrees advanced.
Kirk

Return to “Engine and Tuning”