ADFA Rebuild

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
Texafornian
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

ADFA Rebuild

Postby Texafornian » Fri May 19, 2017 1:13 am

So I am about to embark on a rebuild of the Weber ADFA in my 77 Spider this weekend. First time ever, wish me luck! But better yet, give me your advice, lessons learned, etc. Thanks in advance!
Daniel

1977 Fiat 124 Spider

aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: ADFA Rebuild

Postby aj81spider » Fri May 19, 2017 7:47 am

I rebuilt my DMSA having never done it before. Here's what I did - YMMV.

1.) Take pictures of everything. Before you start take pictures of every angle. After every step take pictures of what you took off and where it went. I took about 100 pictures and still regretted not having some angles or views when I was putting it back together.

2.) I put a big piece of paper on the floor and as I took each section apart I created a numbered block. I put the parts from that section in the numbered block (frequently in the order I took them off the carb). I took notes and referenced the numbered block in the notes.

3.) I only cleaned one numbered block at a time so the parts didn't get mixed up.

Apart from a couple of times where I didn't have a good picture and I had to work to figure out how things went back together (pay close attention to the springs!) the job went pretty smoothly.
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby Nanonevol » Fri May 19, 2017 9:34 am

One thing it took me a while to figure out was getting out the emulsion tubes. They are under the air jets and just drop in but may not just drop out by themselves. I had to make a hook on a piece of thin wire to pull them out (after soaking in PBlast).
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

Texafornian

Postby Texafornian » Sat May 27, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did take lots of pictures, but still went crazy trying to figure out where all the fuel lines and vacuum hoses went :) Used a bent paperclip to get the emulsion tubes out.

I also found good use for the plastic to go dishes (white with clear covers) that we get when we order Chinese. One for the choke, one for the cover & float, one for the jets, etc. Great for blasting the parts with carb cleaner and keeping organized.

I put everything back together, started up, tuned it, runs great, but I still have a problem - the brass nipple at the return line is leaking. When I put the hose on it, there is play between the nipple and the carb housing (it moves in and out slightly, and I can turn it). I can't pull it out to put an o-ring on, or can I? Is there a good "right" way to fix it? One that doesn't involve welding/soldering?
Daniel

1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Texafornian

Postby Texafornian » Sat May 27, 2017 5:16 pm

Well, I ended up fashioning a collar of sorts out of JB Weld, and it looks like that has me back on the road for now with no leak.

I'm stoked! My hesitation and soft spots are gone! And starts right up! Thanks again for the advice!
Daniel

1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Return to “Engine and Tuning”