Cylinder Head questions

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
Tuggertim
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Cylinder Head questions

Postby Tuggertim » Sun May 14, 2017 8:50 pm

Running into a bit of an issue with, what what I thought was, a simple rebuild. As with all things, never as "simple" as hoped. 1984 Pininfarina Spider 2000.

I sent the head to the machine shop for a head job. Lo and behold the aluminum head needed to be milled . I discussed this with the shop owner and we decided to mill no more than 2 thousandths (0.002") off the head, if needed. The machinist ended up taking 12 thousandths (0.012") off. This was a unmilled bone stock head. I have new 85mm 8.8 compression crown top pistons I'm planning on installing and the block had already been over-bored. I'm not searching for hugh compression or HP gains, just a reliable weekend car.

Can anyone tell me if 1.) What is the maximum a 1995cc FI head can be milled 2.) Is the milled head is going to cause interference with the valves 3.) Is there a oversized head gasket that can work (+ 0.010" or larger) 4.) If I can use a standard head gasket and no interference issues, how can/will this effect cam timing?

Anyone with any suggestions/help will be blessed with good karma :D

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Cylinder Head questions

Postby So Cal Mark » Sun May 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Fiat had a factory tool for measuring head thickness, it fit into the combustion chamber with a step to measure the deck height. I doubt that 012 would make the head too thin. I do have 080 head gaskets in my store for use with milled heads.
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Return to “Engine and Tuning”