More Rebuild Questions

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
Teletom
Your car is a: 1978 spider 1800

More Rebuild Questions

Postby Teletom » Thu May 11, 2017 10:20 am

Hey everyone, finally getting everything together on my 1800 engine rebuild. Have some questions however.....

I am putting the tranny and engine back in as one piece to begin with, should I attach the starter before its in? Same with the manifolds? Is there anything I need to remember when putting the engine that can cause me to have to take it out again?

Should I use sealant on the freeze plugs? I snugged down the head bolts and cam tower bolt because I will torque them down in the bay as I dont have an engine stand.

Big question, I have the cylinders at half way when I put the cams on is this correct and how do I time it roughly while the belt is off.

Sorry for all the newby questions, doing this by myself so I want to make sure I dont have too many hangups.

Thanks!

engineerted
Your car is a: 1974 124 spider

Re: More Rebuild Questions

Postby engineerted » Thu May 11, 2017 11:27 am

Here is what i do:
1. Starter Yes - If you have ever changed out a starter in the car you know how much of a pain in the ASS it is.
2. Intake manifold - no, it is a lot easier to hook up the electrical to the starter without this installed.
3. Exhaust manifold - either way, depends if stock or header. I prefer to do it after.
4. If you are not going to install the belt prior to installation of engine, then just leave the head off. much easier.
5. TDC ,marker? did you find the true TDC of cylinder 1? and have a way to find it again after fitting the head? 1800 engines do not have the metal pointer like 2L so fab something up that point to the timing mark on the front pulley. you can do this in the car or before. Position piston half way down prior to fitting head.
6. Freeze plugs - yes red loc-tite high strength not the blue stuff.
7. Transmission - shifter extension must be removed
8. Radiator - i prefer to have this removed
Ted
1978 124 Spider, Complete Restoration
1974 Fiat 124 F Production Race car

Teletom
Your car is a: 1978 spider 1800

Re: More Rebuild Questions

Postby Teletom » Thu May 11, 2017 11:49 am

Thank you! I have the head on already just not torqued down and will be putting the belt on before I put it in. Also how do I make sure the cam timing is correct before putting the belt on? The cam towers are on now and I can rotate them so I want to get this correct, when #1 is at TDC the exhaust cam should be opening both the #1 & #3 valves and the intake should open the #2 & #4 valves?

Are you saying to put Cyl#1 at TDC and then mark the crank pulley? I can put a rod through the sparkplug hole to reliably do this correct?

Also the transmission is not attached yet, anything I need to know about attaching it and how to torque down any bolts I wont be able to get to later? Like how should reliable torque the bolts for the clutch plate down while its out of the engine

Return to “Engine and Tuning”