AFM and spring adjustment

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

AFM and spring adjustment

Postby rjkoop » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:01 pm

I'm rebuilding my AFM because I never did a good job before. Here's a before picture. I think some paint or something was sucked into the AFM at some point because there is a lot of beige/white stuff inside.

It's cleaned now, rebuilt and reinstalled now but I'm worried the PO adjusted the spring mechanism (adjusted by the W thing at top left) that people say not to touch because it's adjusted at factory and shouldn't be messed with. How do I make sure it's adjusted correctly and wasn't tampered with?

Richard

narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Re: AFM and spring adjustment

Postby narfire » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Just a suggestion..... made a big difference for me. Take a look at the track the two pins travel on. Looks pretty worn from here. Anyway, if you can, loosen the screw and perhaps a slight bend in the pin arm to get the pins to travel over fresher track. About .5 to 1mm move makes a difference. After I had a bit of a stumble at idle and to about 2000 rpm I did the bend and move thing and the car ran so much better.
Chris
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:51 pm

narfire wrote:Just a suggestion..... made a big difference for me. Take a look at the track the two pins travel on. Looks pretty worn from here. Anyway, if you can, loosen the screw and perhaps a slight bend in the pin arm to get the pins to travel over fresher track. About .5 to 1mm move makes a difference. After I had a bit of a stumble at idle and to about 2000 rpm I did the bend and move thing and the car ran so much better.
Chris

For sure. I actually removed the connector, mechanism with pins (by loosening the bolt to slide the entire mechanism up and out) and the circuit board to clean. I reinstalled but didn't bend the pins. So I possibly just put them back to the previous position. I'll check again. Thanks.

Richard

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:58 pm

rjkoop wrote:
narfire wrote:Just a suggestion..... made a big difference for me. Take a look at the track the two pins travel on. Looks pretty worn from here. Anyway, if you can, loosen the screw and perhaps a slight bend in the pin arm to get the pins to travel over fresher track. About .5 to 1mm move makes a difference. After I had a bit of a stumble at idle and to about 2000 rpm I did the bend and move thing and the car ran so much better.
Chris

For sure. I actually removed the connector, mechanism with pins (by loosening the bolt to slide the entire mechanism up and out) and the circuit board to clean. I reinstalled but didn't bend the pins. So I possibly just put them back to the previous position. I'll check again. Thanks.

Here's an after picture. Looks pretty much the same so I'll adjust the pins.

Richard

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:04 pm

rjkoop wrote:
rjkoop wrote:
Chris

Here's an before (left) and after (right) picture. Looks pretty much the same so I'll adjust the pins.

Richard

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:58 pm

There's a good discussion at the end of this article on how to adjust the AFM based on O2 sensor readings:

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/ljetronic.htm

Kirk

micbrody
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 fiat 2000

Postby micbrody » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:34 pm

Take a slow and careful look at the link:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... php?t=7761

This author has excellent drawing and procedures for AFM adjustment

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:35 pm

micbrody wrote:Take a slow and careful look at the link:

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/vie ... php?t=7761

This author has excellent drawing and procedures for AFM adjustment

Great article! I'll try some things out and post the results.

Richard

micbrody
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 fiat 2000

Postby micbrody » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:07 pm

Before reading the article, I did "refurbish" the AFM. (PO had opened it up before based on seal). I cleaned up fuel pump contacts;
Cleaned the circuit board; cleaned and repositioned the tracking of copper arm contact. Afterward, i adjusted bypass screw using Voltmeter on oxygen sensor.
The only thing I did not do is check the spring tension. I did not have this article at the time; I could not find any identifying marks to indicated if spring tension changed; so i left it alone.

Car running well; occasional starting issues; "might" revisit the spring tension issue if the spirit moves me; otherwise the AFM seems to work great

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 am

When I was working on the AFM I noticed was sounded like a puffing sound when the engine was running. Thought it was an air leak somewhere but tough to identify. Then I found out what it was. I think spark plug 4 was never tight enough and it popped out. Hopefully it just came loose and didn't strip anything.

What's the best tool to tighten that spark plug? I have a socket wrench with a flexible joint but I find it's either too low (close to the engine) or too high (close to the hood latch). I guess the exact right length of extension would work best.

On a better note the engine does run much better after adjusting the AFM (but before the spark plug popped out! :shock: ) but I'd still like to measure the exhaust oxygen by attaching a voltage meter to ensure I have a good mixture.

Richard

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:42 am

13/16 spark plug socket, u-joint, extention. Use a real spark plug socket with the rubber insert so that you dont crack the ceramic.

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Argh! Stripped #4 (closest to car interior) spark plug hole. That's why it blew out. Spark plug just spins when I try to tighten and that plug tightens fine in other holes. I guess only option is to remove head because it's probably impossible to get a helicoil/whatever in there? #1, #2, #3 would be fine but #4 looks like it's too tight. Any thoughts?

If someone thinks it's possible what size helicoil?

rjkoop

Postby rjkoop » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 pm

Bought the spark plug repair kit at Princess Auto for $24.99 and it worked great. Not a helicoil but more like a Time-Set. I removed the hood latch and top coolant hoses (where it goes into the head and I have my bleed valve installed) to get better access/angle. I'll put high temp RTV on the insert and hope for the best!

Richard

Return to “Engine and Tuning”