Snapped bolt

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
dbr
Your car is a: 1981 fiat spider

Snapped bolt

Postby dbr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello All,

It's been a while, but I am finally wrapping up my engine clean up. I was getting ready to put it all back together when I noticed one of the bolts that hold the fuel rail and fuel injectors had snapped on me. I followed the regular procedures of drilling into it and trying to take it out with an extractor. Nothing worked. I guaranteed drilled through the entire bolt and no matter what extractor I used it won't budge. Basically I just have the thin outer rim of the bolt left inside. So here's my question. Could I just leave that one bolt out? If no, how should I remove the bolt, or what's left? Also if I damadged the inside of the engine, like destroyed the thread or something what should I do?

I haven't taken out the cylinder block as all the other bolt were so tight I feared snapping them.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am afraid I did something with large $ and pro-shop time repair.

Thanks,-Dexter

ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Re: Snapped bolt

Postby ORFORD2004 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:14 pm

Nut welding trick :idea:

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Re: Snapped bolt

Postby DRUMMOND » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 pm

DBR use a tap die of the same diameter and thread count.(carefully) it will cut the rest of the thread out. then just vacuum out the remains

Return to “Engine and Tuning”