Is it possible??? Shift tower replacement...

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
jwldane
Your car is a: 1980 2000 Spider

Is it possible??? Shift tower replacement...

Postby jwldane » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to replace the shift tower assembly without dropping the transmission?

I would like to convert my reverse lockout from the 71 up and back to the later model down and back version. I have a shift tower from an 80 parts car and a short shift kit from Mark on the current 71 tranny. From looking at the trans tunnel inside the parts car it looks like it might be possible to get to the necessary bolts. Not easy, but maybe possible. I've got the interior pulled and now would be the time to do it if it can be done from the passenger compartment.

Thanks
John

kmoses
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Is it possible??? Shift tower replacement...

Postby kmoses » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:02 pm

Yes you can. You will need to disconnect the exhaust down pipe from the manifold, then put a floor jack under the transmission for support, remove the two transmission mount brace nuts and lower the rear of the transmission about 2-3 inches. I've done it a few times and never had a problem getting it out. Getting it back in and engaging the shift linkage properly without tearing the thin paper gasket is where things get tricky! Good luck.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”