Fuel leak

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
Jrscobra
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Fuel leak

Postby Jrscobra » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:35 pm

how rare is it for the fuel hose at the bottom of the filler neck to rot or leak?

Im getting a pretty bad leak coming from the bottom of the spider. Pretty sure its the fuel hose that has the curve in it that attaches to the fuel filler neck.

I'll remove the fuel guard when it warms up and see if its the small elbow or not.
The big question is this: I've seen 6 dollar hoses and Ive seen 22 dollar fuel hoses.

Some are "ethanol resistant" and such.
Should I worry about this?

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Fuel leak

Postby baltobernie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:52 pm

The reason your filler hose is leaking is (probably) because it is original, or was replaced before ethanol was introduced in our fuels.
So yeah, it, along with all other fuel hoses, must be ethanol-resistant. That $6 hose is probably a radiator hose cut to the proper size, and will deteriorate very quickly.

Synthetic rubber is fine for these cars. Look for SAE markings on the hoses; J30R6, 7, or -8 for carburetor fuel lines, J30R9 for fuel-injected ones, J30R11 or R12 for the filler hose.

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Postby Odoyle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:49 pm

The curved rubber hose has to be fuel-safe. I recently replaced one on my 79 with a replacment hose I bought at NAPA, you'll want also remove the driver side lower rear quarter to access the clamps on the filler neck.

Jrscobra
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Postby Jrscobra » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:13 pm

I just took this hose off. Or should I say it fell apart. The clamps were odd, original I suppose. I had to twist a "cotter pin" style pin to loosen the clamps. Now to order the proper hose.

I've got the tank draining.

It was too cold, so that's all for today. It'll go into the garage after this leak is fixed and no more fuel smell.

Thanks for the info folks.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”