Pertronix Ignitor Issues

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
blazingspider
Your car is a: 1977 fiat spider

Pertronix Ignitor Issues

Postby blazingspider » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:53 am

I have a 77 1800 with hi comp pistons, 40 80 cams, an exhaust header and a 34 ADF. I had a Crane xr700 ignition set up using the original dual point distributor until the control unit crapped out on me after 14 years of service.

I decided to try the Pertronix Ignitor module and now that it is installed I'm having "drivability issues". The car starts and idles well and I can rev the engine OK when not in gear. Once on the road however, it's a different story. If I drive the car like a little old lady and keep my foot out of it and keep the revs down, it seems OK but once I begin aggressively driving the car, the engine begins misfiring constantly starting at around 3,000 rpm. I can't even get to 4,000 rpm in 3rd or any higher gear. The more I put my foot into it, the worse it gets.

I spoke with Pertronix support about the issue, thinking I may have received a defective unit. After describing my symptoms to him his only comment was to check my power and ground to rule out any weak spark issues while under load before returning the unit. I tripled checked both power and ground and, not finding any issues, I returned the unit for a replacement.

I received the replacement unit yesterday and installed it but I still have the same problem. I removed the module and installed a set of points and a condenser. Now I don't have any trouble revving the engine while aggressively driving the car. The points are wired directly to the coil and my timing has been set to about 10 degrees BTDC throughout this whole ordeal.

Does anyone have any insights to share? Things to check? Or is my modified motor preventing me from using an ignitor as an ignition system solution.

Thx in advance for any comments or suggestions.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: Pertronix Ignitor Issues

Postby baltobernie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 am

My engine is very similar to yours, and I don't have any problems with the module. Are you certain that the ignition timing is correct? Including advance

blazingspider

Postby blazingspider » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:08 am

I've kept the timing at about 10 degrees BTDC throughout. The centrifugal advance mechanism is fine.

I re-tested power and ground again and all test results are still within spec. I even added a ground wire right from the Ignitor adapter plate to one of the 2 studs that the coil bracket is bolted to and that made no difference. I swapped the coil out with a spare I have and that too made no difference.

I called Pertronix support and spoke with a few of their techs. After verifying that I had conducted all of the power and ground tests correctly and all of the results were within spec, one of the techs seems to think that something is going on with my distributor. He offered to have my setup tested at their facility if I wanted to pull my distributor out and pay for shipping it out there. As I have a spare dizzy, I'm going to swap them out and see what happens.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Postby baltobernie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:25 am

What coil are you using?

blazingspider

Postby blazingspider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:47 am

I've got a bosch blue coil and an oem coil for the 77 sitting on the shelf. I've used both and there isn't any difference in how the motor runs when the Ignitor is installed.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Postby baltobernie » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:47 pm

I've got the blue one using my Pertronix. I'm out of ideas :idea:
Let us know what the factory tells you; I'm curious.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”