Removing all possible emission controls

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
BEEK
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Re: Removing all possible emission controls

Postby BEEK » Thu May 17, 2012 9:37 am

the evaporative emissions system, while being called an emissions control is exactly correct, but it does not hurt engine performance at all. what it does is capture the fuel vapors keeping them from poluting our environment. the vapors go from the tank and the float bowl of the carburator if so equiped to be stored in the active charcoal canister, when engine conditions are right, usually during off idle cruse and not full throttle as the manifold vacuum is too low at that point, these vapors are drawn into the intake and combusted. i am not standing on a soap box nor do i hug trees :) i removed all of the emissions devices from my fiats and lancias for many years. the charcoal evaporative system is one that should remain intact in my opinion. doesnt hurt only helps. a properly tuned car can do fine without the egr and air system, as long as there is no catalist.
Automotive Service Technology Instructor (34 year Fiat mechanic)
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider

bberry

Postby bberry » Fri May 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Beek,
You may be right about the evap system if it was working properly. However on mine there were so many things ripped off and not working that I chose to remove what I could. The other thing is I have grave doubts about the activated charcoal canister. My bet is that it is full of sludge and goo and hasn't been active for a very long time. Might be interesting to cut one open to check them. I know new ones may be purchased but they would not be Fiat specific. Might also be more important to have a properly tuned engine thereby eliminating a thousand fold more air pollutants. Most 124's are now antiques and used a lot less than modern cars. Seeing a few antiques on the road is kind of a nostalgic thing with most people and I doubt there is much of an impact on smog considering how few there are. By the way can you answer the question that was posed a couple of posts back?

BEEK

Postby BEEK » Fri May 18, 2012 7:04 pm

bberry wrote:Bump back to top on tank vent question about the line going back from the canister.
Was the tank vented in some other way to have air displace gas as it is used? If we block that canister line will it cause a vacuum in the tank and a problem for the pumps to supply fuel?

if the system is still put together as designed in the trunk, there is a vapor seperator on the front side of the trunk, below the battery. if it is still intact then the fuel system is sealed to the vapor canister, provided the gas cap is not vented.

that being said, i would just vent the gas cap and that would fix any problems.
75 spider
, 6 Lancia Scorpions, 2018 Abarth Spider, 500X wifes, 500L 3 82 Zagatos. 82 spider 34k original miles, 83 pininfarina, 8 fiat spider parts cars
son has 78 spider

bberry

Postby bberry » Sat May 19, 2012 10:42 pm

Great success. Car starts better, runs stronger and sounds better. New timing belt, new tensioner, new water pump, new front seals, and all emission controls removed made a huge difference. driving time now. Thanks to everyone.

bberry

Postby bberry » Sun May 20, 2012 3:18 pm

Well after a cruise today I have to say again thanks. After a little research apparently there is no need to vent the gas cap. I just left the line coming from the tank to the canister unplugged. I do plan to put on a small filter to keep dirt and bugs out. There seems to be no fumes or anything coming out of the hose. I am absolutely astounded by the way the car ran today. Starts easy and idles down quickly and smoothly. Performance is much better and my bet is that mileage will improve. For those looking at the small hole that appears to be a vent in the inside gas cap be advised it is not. It may have been a vented cap on earlier models before emissions controls.

steve8462

Postby steve8462 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:10 pm

i have a possibly related question. i have a 1979 spider with a carb. on the right side of the intake manifold on the top side. which is toward the firewall on the back side of the carb. there is a fitting coming out of the manifold which the PO has put a small K&N looking breather element. should this be there? it appears that it might allow air into the manifold without passing through the carb first. i will try to upload a picture when i get home tonight.

AZ79

Postby AZ79 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:20 pm

steve8462 wrote:i have a possibly related question. i have a 1979 spider with a carb. on the right side of the intake manifold on the top side. which is toward the firewall on the back side of the carb. there is a fitting coming out of the manifold which the PO has put a small K&N looking breather element. should this be there? it appears that it might allow air into the manifold without passing through the carb first. i will try to upload a picture when i get home tonight.

Are you sure the K&N isn't hooked up to the oil breather in the side of the block?

steve8462

Postby steve8462 » Tue May 22, 2012 1:39 pm

no, actually that is connected to a fitting coming out of the bottom of the aftermarket square air cleaner. and its a horrible fit to boot!

AZ79

Postby AZ79 » Tue May 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Then I can see no reason to connect an air filter to a vacuum port. I'd remove it and plug the hole.

steve8462

Postby steve8462 » Tue May 22, 2012 4:57 pm

i was thinking of getting an official factory shop manual for the fiat 124. are they worth it? do they have good pictures with breakdowns of certain things? i see different ones on the fiat websites that all claim to be factory shop manuals. how do i tell which one is the real deal before i spend the cash? thank you

124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Postby 124JOE » Wed May 23, 2012 12:18 am

start it and remove the filter
if its a vacume then plug it-and re tune your car
if it spits oil and smoke put it back on
when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com

maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Postby maytag » Thu May 24, 2012 8:52 am

steve8462 wrote:i have a possibly related question. i have a 1979 spider with a carb. on the right side of the intake manifold on the top side. which is toward the firewall on the back side of the carb. there is a fitting coming out of the manifold which the PO has put a small K&N looking breather element. should this be there? it appears that it might allow air into the manifold without passing through the carb first. i will try to upload a picture when i get home tonight.

you'd better post that pic. I'm having a hard time picturing something large enough on the intake manifold that you could put a filter on it.
Your brake booster is still hooked-up, I assume?
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!

BEEK

Postby BEEK » Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm

on a carburated 2.0 intake there is a vacuum port in #4 runner for the emissions system vacuum supply, this is the same size as a fuel line 5/16 / 8mm , one in the #1 runner that is a 12mm / 1/2' port and the one below the egr valve. which draws vacuum from the plenum also 12mm / 1/2" cast brass elbow
75 spider
son has 78 spider

BEEK

Postby BEEK » Thu May 24, 2012 4:54 pm

that is the emissions port on the #4 runner, needs to be capped if not in use for the original purpose
75 spider
son has 78 spider

bberry

Postby bberry » Sat May 26, 2012 9:55 pm

Pics of after cleaning up emissions controls, new water pump, seals, and timing belt.

Pics of the mechanical oil guage. I am pleased with how it works. Woodwork is not great but works.

Return to “Engine and Tuning”