Removing all possible emission controls

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
bberry

Removing all possible emission controls

Postby bberry » Fri May 11, 2012 9:22 pm

On my 78 the compressor was removed and now I want to clean up the engine bay by removing all related parts not needed. I am sure many have done this. Detailed info on what and where located would be great. Pictures would also be a big help. I am sure there are many people who want to do this.

vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: Removing all possible emission controls

Postby vandor » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 pm

You can remove the EGR piping that runs from the exhaust to the intake manifold. You can either plug the holes with the existing nuts welded shut, or buy a plug with the same size threads. The first place to look is in the oil drain plug section of your local parts store.

You can removed the rubber tubes that ran from the air pump to the head, and also the air injection manifold in the head. We and other vendors sell plugs to plug the holes in the head.

There are 2 vacuum/electric valves on the left inner fender, you can get rid of those too.
Last edited by vandor on Sun May 13, 2012 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town

blurple124
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby blurple124 » Fri May 11, 2012 11:49 pm

First of all, I apologize for the excessive amount of pictures. I just took my emissions off of my '78, but have yet to remove the wiring for everything, so I am hoping that another member will have already done that and will help both of us out on that front. This post should help with the plumbing side of things.

Okay, this first picture is a handy diagram of the emissions system which may or may not be of use to you.

As you can see in this next picture, there is quite a bit of crap on these cars to meet regulation....
taking the heat shield off was a matter of preference. It really doesn't hurt to leave it on.

Exhaust gas re-circulation. I have not been able to get the fitting out of my exhaust manifold...seems very stuck. Hopefully you have better luck.

Piping for the system from exhaust to intake:

Air pump:

Somebody will have to chime in for the right word on this one, but it is a valve for the air injection system:

EGR Valve:

Three-way connection (one to intake, one from EGR, one to/from charcoal canister)

Canister:

And finally the air injection system:

When you take the injectors out of the head, you will have holes that need plugging. You can find these at some of the vendors (Auto Ricambi carries them), I have an extra set, and you can find them at McMaster Carr here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3076/=hhvfnk Part number is: 99642A205

Good luck! FYI, be on the lookout for someone to speak up on the wiring, because that is a lot of it.
Charlie
1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800 - Antonia
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport

tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby tartan18 » Sat May 12, 2012 1:06 am

I have also removed all the emission plumbing from my 1975 and I am now wanting to remove all unnecessary wiring. Looking forward to advice on this step. Of the seven relays in my car I know by looking at the wiring diagrams that several of them are no longer needed and I hope that the few that are needed (horn) can be more neatly arranged. Yeah, I know ... I have a major case of obsessive/compulsive disorder :-) That said, I really would like to hear from folks who have cleaned up the engine bay wiring situation.

Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology

maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Postby maytag » Sat May 12, 2012 2:47 pm

tartan18 wrote:.....and I am now wanting to remove all unnecessary wiring. Looking forward to advice on this step. Of the seven relays in my car I know by looking at the wiring diagrams that several of them are no longer needed and I hope that the few that are needed (horn) can be more neatly arranged. Yeah, I know ... I have a major case of obsessive/compulsive disorder :-) That said, I really would like to hear from folks who have cleaned up the engine bay wiring situation.

I wanted to do the same thing.... it turned into me gutting all the wiring. I pulled every wire out.... figured I had some time, since I can't seem to get the correct parts for my motor in a decent amount of time .... :cry:

I should never have done this. It's too big a job to take-on right at the beginning of DRIVING WEATHER! :roll:
however: I'm nearing completion now. I've only got the turn-signal circuit to get through, and I'll hopefully find some time to work on that tomorrow. Everything else is done. I've moved to a modern ATC fuse block, with all new relays powering nearly everything that takes more than an amp or two.
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!

bberry

Postby bberry » Sat May 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks to everyone. I spent a few hours on it today and have most of it off. A lot of the hoses were in rough shape and must have been leaking. My bet is it will run better. All new front seals, timing belt and a few more goodies are ordered and should be installed in a week or so.

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Postby RRoller123 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:01 pm

@ Tartan18: Like you I wanted to get rid of some of the rat's nest under/behind the dash. I found that there was power window wiring in place even though there are no power windows (probably just part of the standard harness, makes sense) and there was door/seatbelt chime and a couple of other superfluous wires hanging about. I was probably able to pull close to 20 feet of unnecessary wiring out and it really simplified things under there. Well worth the effort!

Pete
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

tartan18
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby tartan18 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks gentlemen. With your encouragement I am going to start eliminating unneeded relays and their associated wiring one by one. The worse that can happen is I remove something needed but I can add that back. I have already installed relays to take all the amps off the ignition switch and a relay for the wiper motor.
Jim MacKenzie
1975 Fiat Spider
Finest Italian Automotive Technology

blurple124

Postby blurple124 » Sun May 13, 2012 2:38 pm

maytag wrote:
tartan18 wrote:.....and I am now wanting to remove all unnecessary wiring.

I've moved to a modern ATC fuse block, with all new relays powering nearly everything that takes more than an amp or two.

One (or both) of you should go more in depth in another thread. I am seriously considering re-doing the wiring in my car and would love to learn from the experiences of others. Maytag, I know you have kind of started a post already. I would love to hear more details and see more pics!
Charlie

124JOE
Your car is a: 1978 124 fiat spider sport 1800

Postby 124JOE » Sun May 13, 2012 5:24 pm

when you do everything correct people arent sure youve done anything at all (futurama)
ul1joe@yahoo.com 124joe@gmail.com

bberry

Postby bberry » Mon May 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Vandor, Blurple,
Thanks again for the descriptions and pics. They were a big help. I could not have done it with out those. The engine bay looks so much cleaner now with all the controls gone. My bet is that they were so old that they were not working anyway. Not sure how much any of the system works without the compressor working. Hope this helped others also, I will post a pic of the bay once the engine is put back together.
Bberry

blurple124

Postby blurple124 » Mon May 14, 2012 7:29 pm

bberry wrote:Vandor, Blurple,
Thanks again for the descriptions and pics. They were a big help.

Glad to hear it!

I just realized that I missed one picture, so I will post it here in case anyone in the future is looking at this thread for similar advice.

This is the fast idle test button, I believe.
Charlie

bberry

Postby bberry » Mon May 14, 2012 10:59 pm

I have removed the vapor canister and blocked the hose to the carb. Does the line going back to the tank need to be blocked or does the tank need a vent to allow air into the tank to displace the gas as it is used?

geert
Your car is a: 1977 1800spider

Postby geert » Tue May 15, 2012 8:24 am

bberry wrote:I have removed the vapor canister and blocked the hose to the carb. Does the line going back to the tank need to be blocked or does the tank need a vent to allow air into the tank to displace the gas as it is used?

good question. I blocked it. I believe there is a 3-way valve near the tank that should take care of it either way , but I'm curious about the answer. And what about the fuel/vapor lines up to the fuel tank ?

bberry

Postby bberry » Thu May 17, 2012 7:22 am

Bump back to top on tank vent question about the line going back from the canister.
Was the tank vented in some other way to have air displace gas as it is used? If we block that canister line will it cause a vacuum in the tank and a problem for the pumps to supply fuel?

Return to “Engine and Tuning”