White smoke

Keep it on topic, it will make it easier to find what you need.
phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

White smoke

Postby phaetn » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 pm

After a drive today idle suddenly dropped; blipped throttle and it was very rough like a misfire. Luckily I was very close to home and limped the three blocks with plumes of white smoke and could hear unusual burbling/draining of coolant as I turned off engine.

Suspected a head gasket leak as I replaced one two years ago. Performed a compression test and all cylinders were 110 or above. That said spark plug for cylinder number four looks seriously chewed up -- this has been an issue as long as I have owned the car for nearly 4 years. Compression gauge tubing was also very wet after testing #4.

Pic of test results and danaged plug:
https://flic.kr/p/Xt51T5

Where could the cookant be coming from? I gather there is a coolant passage by the intake manifold near #4. Anything else I should look for?

The good compression suggests it's not between cylinders. Could it just be the head gasket again? I might pull the head and take it to a machinist.

Could the head be cracked? More seriously might the block be cracked?

Thanks and cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Re: White smoke

Postby seabeelt » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Have you tried just replacing the plug as a short term fix? Could you have a coolant leak in your manifold?
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby phaetn » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that i did replace the plugs and things were still bad. Very rough and white vapour.

Indeed, it may be from the intake side. I should pressure test the coolant to see if it rises with engine compression.

Thanks and cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
pics and HD vids

stpher
Your car is a: 1982 F I spider

Postby stpher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:29 am

If you have access to air, you can do somewhat of a test on the cylinder head to see if it is cracked or something else. You do it just like a leakdown test ( can do both at same time ) Bring the cylinder that you want to test to full TDC with both valves closed, plugs removed. Top he coolant right up to the edge of the neck on the rad, plug off any overflow hose. with the cyl at TDC, add trhe compressed air to the cylinder, I use my leakdown tester hose for this. If you dont have one, make a hose up from an old spark plug with some hose and a air fitting. With the cyl at TDC, both valves closed, keep an eye on the coolant level as you apply the air, if there is a problem with the cooling system, the compressed air will push into the cooling system and the coolant level will rise( fast or slow depending on how big the leak is. The one thing you have to watch for is, if it is not right on TDC, the compressed air WILL turn the engine over so you must be right on. I apply the air slowly but bending the air hose and letting it go slowly, if the engine starts to turn over, I can catch it before it does. This for sure will tell you if the head gasket is gone, a crack in the head or elsewhere. While you have the engine at TDC and if yoiu have access to a leakdown tester, you can do this at the same time and do 2 tests

Thanks, Rick

fiatfactory
Your car is a: 1970 128

Postby fiatfactory » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 am

Last edited by fiatfactory on Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nothing to see here... move along.

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby phaetn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:48 am

Thanks folks.

Intake nuts were tight and I checked torque on head bolts. Bolt #3 sounds cracked. I might have managed 1/8 of a turn on bolts 7 and 8. Rest were good. Even with the tightening still coolant getting into cylinder #4.

Definitely pulling the head. I have a spare 1800 head though it may be junk. I will bring both to the machinist's.

I had bad valve seals and have new valves, guides, and springs, so I had might as well get it all done now.

I think I will go with an MLS gasket and a atud kit if I can get them in time.

Thanks agsin,
phaetn
1974 CS1
pics and HD vids

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby phaetn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Pic of the gasket.

Oddly, cylinder #4 could still hold pressure (110psi) but it definitely explains where coolant was coming from. I suspect headbolt #3 was the culprit as I had marked it a year ago for cracking and not quite getting to 61lb/ft.

An MLS gasket and the head stud kit on the way from Allison's. That should give a lot better clamping force.

Head should be back from the machinist's hopefully by Monday of next week, with a multi angle valve cut to boot. :)

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
pics and HD vids

spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Postby spiderdan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 am

phaetn wrote:Head should be back from the machinist's hopefully by Monday of next week,

Just wondering how it turned out (and how much $).
Was out at Canadans' yesterday (trany fix part deux) and we found a spare 1438 head. Was thinking of taking to the same machinist and have it ready for install next year. Would be a good time to install the Abarth exhaust too.
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby phaetn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:34 pm

Will find out tomorrow (Wed). They finally got to it yesterday and, after bead-blasting it, discovered that the second head had oversized guides. They tried to put in some kind sleeve but that didn't work out. So, back to the old head. I had both 14mm and 15mm o.d. brass sleeves. I saw the head today after beadblasting. I think they had decked it, too, since it had a fair amount of damage. Hopefully it won't throw my cam timing off too much -- maybe time to get adjustable pulleys! ;)

Had to run all around town (CAPS, then GBS) but got some National seals that will work for the cam shafts. They still had shims, cam tower gaskets, and the Isky springs I had left earlier.

Tomorrow they are going to make sure it's in tolerance for valve lash. Also multi-angle cut for the valves.

I will let you know if I am happy with their work.

What I am least happy about is customs holding up my order from Allison's for a MLS gasket and a stud kit. I have an original style gasket and the previous head bolts on hand but would prefer the newer stuff for better clamping. What's another week at this point? :)

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
pics and HD vids

spiderdan
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1968 124 Sport Spider

Postby spiderdan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 pm

phaetn wrote:What's another week at this point?

I know how you feel...I miss my Angelina
Maybe by the weekend I'll have her back!
Hope it works out for you.
Dan
1968 124 Sport Spider
"Angelina"
2015 Toyota Camry XSE (hers)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (cottage toy)
http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/68spi ... t%20Spider
http://www.youtube.com/user/Coontache/videos

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Postby phaetn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:37 am

Good lord, I'm still at it! Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Was away on holiday for a week, then had to wait for head to come back from machinists and then for parts to arrive.

Got head studs from Allison's that are very cool, rather than stock bolts. Apparently much better clamping force, as confirmed by the machinist. ALso got an MLS gasket.

After putting in the new gasket and the resurfaced head (with a valve job) I was still getting white smoke. sigh. I assumed it was the gasket, and put on a regular paper one (perhaps more forgiving). Still white smoke. (*#$()@#$!!!!

Used a coolant pressure tester and figured it must be the intake. Confirmed with a pool of coolant that I spotted in the light of day right in the middle of the intake. Note sure it it's an intake gasket, or a cracked intake or head, or even the head gasket allowing something to seep up.

Took off just the the intake today (a real pain, it's way easier to take it off with the head); used Permatex Copper gasket maker and a new gasket and we''ll see.

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
pics and HD vids

Return to “Engine and Tuning”