Coast to Coast with a Spider - a 45 days project -

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
abcman3000

Coast to Coast with a Spider - a 45 days project -

Postby abcman3000 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Hello there Fiat lovers and sick people in general :mrgreen:

I have this crazy idea for this August-September(2010).
I'd like to fly from Europe to SF (California), buy myself a 124 and enjoy a month across the States reselling it in NY before flying back to Italy or Croatia.

I don't have all the details worked yet, and maybe I don't want to, trying to make it a little adventure, and enjoying it without stress. :roll:

If it just plain crazy just speak out...I might change my mind, if not maybe I'll be able to use some advice and share this experience with you :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: Coast to Coast with a Spider - a 45 days project -

Postby mdrburchette » Sun May 16, 2010 6:30 pm

I think it's an awesome idea! We can plan stopping points with other Fiat owners along the way. You can surely stop at my place for some rest and refueling on your way back East.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!

Foster48x
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 FI

Postby Foster48x » Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Sounds like a REAL adventure! Let us know the route when you get all the planning worked out. There's allot of support also in North Texas if you decide to drive through.

Rick
1980 FI Spider 2000

abcman3000

Postby abcman3000 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Thank's a lot. A Fiat owner can't be but a cool guy :D I knew that , ha ha

For now I see only 2 problems:
1) making sure I have the necessary 45days free from work
2) finding a reliable car in SF

I already have an idea about the route....I'll post now a map I made 2 years ago when I was thinking of making a similar trip but I didn't have the time.
Last edited by abcman3000 on Sun May 16, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abcman3000

Postby abcman3000 » Sun May 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Foster48x wrote:Sounds like a REAL adventure! Let us know the route when you get all the planning worked out. There's allot of support also in North Texas if you decide to drive through.
Rick

Thx Rick....I'll do it in the summer so I thought Texas was maybe not a good Idea. I concentrated myself on the states with a cooler climate. ( ....and I sometimes feel like I need a break from Texas...I have "Walker the Texas ranger" on the TV in Italy AND in Croatia....can't run away from Chuck :) he he )

Marko

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Sun May 16, 2010 8:03 pm

the biggest obstacle you will have will be finding a reliable car for that trip and the northern route. The states out west have little in the way of support or resources for parts. Until you get to the great lakes area you will have to hope for no breakdowns. Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas are pretty desolate for Fiats in general. The alternative of Az, NM and Texas in the summer almost guarantees a meltdown though. Better to time the trip for spring or fall than the middle of summer
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Danno

Postby Danno » Sun May 16, 2010 9:23 pm

i think licensing and titling will be difficult. how would that work?

narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Postby narfire » Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 pm

Hey Marko, saw the map.
A slight detour while in Canada.. but still get to Alberta.. I 'd recomend from Vancouver take Hwy 3(Hope Princeton) to Keremeos,(southern hwy) 3a to Penticton,and a pit stop for insallation fluid of your choice (i made some great wine.. good enough even to give to friends :lol: ) Hot here in the summer as is the lake. I have parts and a shop if needed. Continue on hwy 3 to Cranbrook and then north in the "Columbia Trench"(rockies on the right) to Radium Hot Springs. Have a dip in the Springs (recomend the Lido Motel). North east to Calgary while driving through the Rockies. After that... don't know, been to the other side of the divide only a couple of times.
PM if comming this way
Chris
When or if in Montana, majicwrench is in Libby
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box

abcman3000

Postby abcman3000 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:05 am

narfire wrote:A slight detour while in Canada.. but still get to Alberta.. I 'd recomend from Vancouver take Hwy 3(Hope Princeton) to Keremeos,(southern hwy) 3a to Penticton,and a pit stop for insallation fluid of your choice (i made some great wine.. good enough even to give to friends :lol: )

Thx Chris !
Detours are not a problem, especially if the reason is good wine :lol:
I'm not a great mechanic myself, but do you think it would be better to aim for a pre '78 Fiat with carburetors or for a more recent DSO type ?

So Cal Mark wrote:Until you get to the great lakes area you will have to hope for no breakdowns. Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas are pretty desolate for Fiats in general. The alternative of Az, NM and Texas in the summer almost guarantees a meltdown though. Better to time the trip for spring or fall than the middle of summer

Only the summer is an option for me :roll: Thx for the info about the states with little Fiats. I think I should have a spare option if I don't find a reliable Fiat. Is there another convertible that has some of the Fiat Spider spirit, and that is common on the roads and affordable second hand ?

p.s. I had an idea...I usually get those before falling asleep :lol: , that it would be great to import back to Europe my future American Fiat,instead of reselling it, but I just found out that they would make me pay the customs taxes, not only on the value of the car, but also on the miles the car made from the place it was bought in ?!?!?!? CRAZY STUFF !! So a Californian Fiat will never come to my home :cry:

Snoopy
Your car is a: 1980 CS0 2000 f.i. US [Build 1979]

Postby Snoopy » Mon May 17, 2010 4:06 am

Friends of me do this long years ago with motorbikes. Biggest problem was to sold the bikes to a good price in very short time at the end of the journey. Maybe someone help you ?
CS0 2000 f.i. 79, Abarth 500C 595 2013, Ford C-MAX 1.0 Ecoboost 2015

narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Postby narfire » Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 am

abcman3000 wrote:I'm not a great mechanic myself, but do you think it would be better to aim for a pre '78 Fiat with carburetors or for a more recent DSO type ?

Get hold of Mark, he had a nice looking/sorted FI for sale a while ago,not sure if he sold it.
My druthers is FI but a well sorted carb would be equally reliable.
I was getting 10kms/liter with my stock FI engine, not sure what fuel is in your parts but 91 octane is $1.22 liter here and 89 is $1.15 at the moment (cdn $ which is really close to the US $ at the moment)
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box

courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby courtenay » Mon May 17, 2010 9:17 am

Think about taking a trip from Olympia WA to Port Angeles and then the ferry to Victoria BC. There are at least 3 Forum members on Vancouver Island, Launie in Victoria, me in Courtenay and Jim in Campbell River. It's a very nice 3 hour drive to Courtenay, where you can get a ferry to the Sunshine Coast. Then to Horseshoe Bay, up through Whistler - over a very picturesque road into the Okanagan - where you can pick up on Chris' installation fluid. I would like to think our installation fluid might just rival his!
Sounds like a great trip regardless of the route you eventually choose.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago

mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Postby mdrburchette » Mon May 17, 2010 9:21 am

If you could find someone willing to sit on the car while trying to sell it, you could get a decent price out of the car. You won't need that money to get home, will ya?
If you stayed on I-40 through the US, you would be hitting more Fiat populated States and by September, wouldn't be so incredibly hot.....and you'd be going through Winston-Salem before turning north to New York! :mrgreen:
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!

abcman3000

Postby abcman3000 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:08 pm

narfire wrote:I was getting 10kms/liter with my stock FI engine, not sure what fuel is in your parts but 91 octane is $1.22 liter here and 89 is $1.15 at the moment (cdn $ which is really close to the US $ at the moment)

didn't know there was such low octane fuel available. We have only 95 98 and 100 octanes here :shock:

courtenay wrote:Think about taking a trip from Olympia WA to Port Angeles and then the ferry to Victoria BC. There are at least 3 Forum members on Vancouver Island, ...... I would like to think our installation fluid might just rival his!
Sounds like a great trip regardless of the route you eventually choose.

:roll: ...I don't want to be the cause of to much rivalry, but....thinking of it...I might take advantage of it he he :mrgreen:
I'm getting myself a big decent map to and I'll start putting pins !!

mdrburchette wrote:If you could find someone willing to sit on the car while trying to sell it, you could get a decent price out of the car. You won't need that money to get home, will ya?

No, I wouldn't need the money to get home.....actually that is a good idea ! I have some family only in SF, and I really don't know how much I can count on them. hmm..... "he who searches, will find" , I think it goes like this.
I'll definitely reach the I-40 at some point of the way....

So, actually you think it's a good idea..I'm glad :mrgreen:

Foster48x
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 FI

Postby Foster48x » Mon May 17, 2010 1:11 pm

abcman3000 wrote:
Foster48x wrote:Sounds like a REAL adventure! Let us know the route when you get all the planning worked out. There's allot of support also in North Texas if you decide to drive through.
Rick

Thx Rick....I'll do it in the summer so I thought Texas was maybe not a good Idea. I concentrated myself on the states with a cooler climate. ( ....and I sometimes feel like I need a break from Texas...I have "Walker the Texas ranger" on the TV in Italy AND in Croatia....can't run away from Chuck :) he he )

Marko

I agree Marko, Texas summers are pretty tough. If you do decide to drive through the great state of Texas maybe Chuck Norris will sell you his Fiat... Its so terrified of Chuck it fixes itself :mrgreen: .

Rick
1980 FI Spider 2000

Return to “Off Topic & Social”