High-mileage oil

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

High-mileage oil

Postby stuartrubin » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:44 am

Summary: is high-mileage worth it?

Details: This is off topic for sure, but I'm guessing you all have some opinion on this. My daily driver is thirteen-year-old Acura TSX with 105K miles and as far as I can tell in very good condition. (I think there's a small exhaust least somewhere, but otherwise feels and sounds greats.)

Yesterday I had the oil changed at a discount speedy oil garage chain, and they convinced me that I should get the high-mileage oil blend at about a $30 up charge. I'm not planning on getting rid of this car any time soon (a year or two at least). So, is the better oil worthwhile? Does it make a difference? Over the course of the next few years, will a few hundred dollars of extra maintenance make the difference? Did I get scammed?

Thanks!
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein

samakijoe
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124

Re: High-mileage oil

Postby samakijoe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:43 pm

While traveling I often need to get the oil changed. I go out and buy the type of oil and filter I buy at home.
Most of the quick change places will do the labor for a set rate. The small extra cost is worth if too me..
Just ask. Never been turned down. I would never let them use the filter or oil they offer. Not the best available.
I stay with them to make sure all is well. Always make sure they fill the filter (depending on the orientation of the filter) before installing..

As to the use of "high millage oil" I have used Mobil 1 for all my cars. There are plenty of high quality oils out there.. Read the back of the containers...

There are a lot of videos on the net showing what is inside of the filters on the market. Just do a Google on "oil filter testing" or something like that.

Hint: Never use a filter painted orange...
SAMAKIJOE
AKA GRANDPA GRUMPYPANTS

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:33 pm

stuartrubin wrote:Did I get scammed?
You posted that you were having no issues with excessive oil consumption or leaks, so yeah, you got taken advantage of. The average age of US cars skyrocketed following the '07 recession, so clever marketers seized the opportunity to introduce a higher-priced product to play upon owner's fears. Many folks believed (and still do) that a 100k engine is ready to blow.

If you've been taking regular care of your motor by following recommended oil and filter replacement and "normal" driving habits, high-mileage oil is not beneficial. It might even be detrimental. Remember that in a 32 oz. container of oil, every ounce of additive means one less ounce of lubrication.

As others have said, the change interval, change procedure, and quality of filter are more important than the brand on the can. Any API-SN oil and OE filter will be just fine in your Honda.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:34 pm

samakijoe wrote:Hint: Never use a filter painted orange...
Hint: Never use cheese from a green can...

stuartrubin
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby stuartrubin » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:15 pm

OK, so I'll go with the kid's oil instead of the geriatric next time. Live and learn...

Thanks for everyone's advice.
Stuart
1975 FIAT 124 Spider
Il Mostro di Frankenstein

Return to “Off Topic & Social”