Today's random driving experiences

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Today's random driving experiences

Postby nelsonj » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:53 pm

I just got back from a 125+ mile drive out to the desert and back. (Simi - Palmdale - back roads to Valencia- Simi). I washed and cleaned up Bella early this AM, and it was a beautiful day for driving my shiny, clean and sparkling toy.

Anyway, going out there on the freeway some guy on a beautiful blue Harley (chromed to the max) pulls up besides me takes both hands off the bars and starts signing to me that, the best I could figure, he once owned a 74 spider - I think that's what he was saying. All while we're both doing 70 MPH, and him with no hands! A bit unnerving. We both gave thumbs-ups up to each other's vehicles and he pulled away at 80ish.

Then, coming home I wound up behind newish Porsche 911 GT (4?) I think. Anyway, the rear tires were huge and it had extra body effects, it wasn't your "standard" 911. By now know better than to try and keep up with a car with 5X my HP and that costs 10X my project.. but the driver slows down, rolls down his window, and waves me to go in front & around him. He wants to look at my car from all angles! Another sets of "thumbs up", and he departs at 80-plus.

I guess the lines of the Spider have stood up well against the sands of time. And even out here in rust-free So Cal its very rare to see one on the road. I just keep hoping some day one of these drivers will ask me if "I want to trade!".

Peace.
Out.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Today's random driving experiences

Postby geospider » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:31 pm

And answer NO???
You're in a classic beauty

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Postby azruss » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:00 am

I just keep hoping some day one of these drivers will ask me if "I want to trade!".

Had this happen twice. The first time was 4 old ladies in a 15 year old oldsmobile. The driver wanted to trade her girl friend for the car. :roll:
The 2nd was a guy with a beautiful girl on a harley. After he asked about a trade, the girl quickly whispered in his ear. He then said, "the bike". :mrgreen:

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:24 am

I think these cars have a classic design. I get nods and waves and "nice car", all the time. Hard to beat that kind of positive reinforcement!

KevAndAndi
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider 2000

Postby KevAndAndi » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:25 am

For the first time in about three years of ownership, this past weekend Andrea and I passed another Spider. It was even of the same era. The other driver behaved like a normal person would: He gave a toot of the horn. I, on the other hand, screamed and waved. I'll try to be a little more cool next time.
Kevin
1981 Spider 2000

PhillySpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby PhillySpider » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:01 am

I'm in a pretty swanky area, surrounded by homes with 7 bays in their driveway and 7 figure+ collections. It's really cool that I get nods from Porsche, Lambo and Ferrari drivers all the time, though none have offered me a trade yet, one fella offered me use of the lift in his garage any time. He must not know much about Spiders lol! :)

bonsaiwino
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Postby bonsaiwino » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:47 pm

Are you located in the Philly suburbs? My '79 Spider & I are in Quakertown.

Return to “Off Topic & Social”