taxing antique cars

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
rocketmonkey101
Your car is a: 71 VW Westy - 87 MBZ 300D - 72 FIAT 850

taxing antique cars

Postby rocketmonkey101 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:17 pm

Wasn't really sure where to put this. Basically this story goes into Oregon taxing old cars. I figured this may be of interest here. Perhaps it can be stopped but at the very least we should keep our ears open for this sort of thing popping up in our own states.
http://ericpetersautos.com/2017/03/29/t ... -off-road/

Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Re: taxing antique cars

Postby Jimb » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:15 pm

Back in the '70's and '80's here in British Columbia (Canada) there was a program with our Provincial run (in the US it would be State run) insurance program that provided special rates for vehicles that were 25 years old (vintage) and 50 years old (antique), all being collectible cars. If your car met certain criteria such as 100% original, well maintained, and driven anytime other than to and from work, then you got a substantial discount on your insurance policy. The theory being that owners of these cars kept very special car of them.
That still applies today, I pay about $250 for a full year for my 1985.5 Volumex as a Collector car and I can drive it all day, any day, as long as it's not for work. A great deal, but as I said earlier, I can not make mods that would alter it's originality...right down to the radio.
The challenge now is our Government insurance has tried to keep up with the ever-expanding vintage & antique cars that are being modified (street rods), but really still are collectibles.
So the problem as I see it is, nowadays more and more cars are being thought of by their owners as collector cars...and therefore expect the same "special" considerations and so apply for relaxed premium charges. Therefore insurance companies who face an increasing number of those wanting special consideration must tighten their belts and demand stricter guidelines. After all, insurance is simply a gamble, a game that insurance providers must come out ahead or they close their doors.

spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Re: taxing antique cars

Postby spidernut » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 pm

Quote from the story: "Democratic politicians in Oregon have just the thing." I don't mean to be political on the forum because that's the last thing we need. However, it does not appear to be a bipartisan bill. I think it is a really stupid idea and I hope it will fail. Oregon has some very strict emissions laws in the bigger cities that are very harmful to poor and middle class families. Just ask my extended family; they'd be happy to tell you what they think about it.
John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)

Return to “Off Topic & Social”