Considering Sale - Feedback

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Considering Sale - Feedback

Postby TX82FIAT » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:31 am

Folks, I love my 82' spider. I've owed and sold a 79' and 83'. The 83 was my favorite and to this day regret selling it. The 82 is the best running FIAT I've ever owned with a lot of time and money put into her. However, I'm considering early retirement, have three kids in college and only a two car garage currently. I know I'll never get what the car is worth. However, does $15K - $20K sound reasonable? I'd like to sell it to an enthusiast "IF" I sell it. Before you tell me I'm nuts, and some of you on this forum know I am. Below is a brief description of the car. Is there an enthusiast that is interested and should I sell my labor of love?

The 82 won 1st place in its class at Fiat Freakout in 2011. HC pistons/aggressive cams/ported & polished 1800 head/aluminum rad/powder cam Box/ 2.25 mandrel exhaust-no Cat (resonator and free flow muffler)/headers/programmed FI system with crank shaft sensor. Nice 15" wheels that have drilled and slotted rotors. Car was painted seven years ago and has a few rock chips because I do drive her. All electricals work as they should. Headlight relay installed. Replaced ignition switch with a 3500 mile spider switch found in an old junkyard. Reworked and insulated all wires in wire loom behind dash as well as all new ground pods. Installed mini amp in trunk for IPOD/USB/Aux stereo with speakers. Carpet is four years old with dynomat installed over POR15 on body. tow option run with a back seat or the luggage/storage shelf sold by Allisons finished in black vinyl. As I write this there are details left out like interior LED lighting and new master cylinder with new brake lines to rear of vehicle. new main ground cable, green know shut off on battery and more...

I'm hit and miss on posting images so cut and paste below link. Gave it a shot and abandoned efforts after three attempts. I'm not a patient as I once was. I have the liberty of being cantankerous.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B050Nb ... 1kZFE/view

Should I sell or will I regret it? Any interest?
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Considering Sale - Feedback

Postby AriK » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:12 pm

You have a beautiful car. Members in this forum will understand the blood you squeezed from stone in order to get this car sorted. Others, less so. I'm inclined to say that you will miss your baby and will regret it later. Try to keep it in the family for a few more years. The kids wont be in college forever, they will move on and you'll eventually have more time on your hands.
I'll post a photo if you wish once i see it in the cars for sale section. Good luck with sale.
Ari

jwldane
Your car is a: 1980 2000 Spider

Postby jwldane » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:29 pm

I tend to agree with Arik, however, if you do decide to sell, hold out for a price you can live with.

I just saw a fully restored 124 on ebay not sell with a bid of 30K and reserve not met. Getting good money is not unheard of if the work done is of very good quality. I believe the prices will continue to rise thanks in large part to renewed interest generated from the new 124 and shows like top gear re-visiting the car and its history.

Good luck making a very tough decision.

spidernut
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider Automatic

Postby spidernut » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Looks really nice. You probably won't get any buyers from the People's Republic of California since the emissions equipment is missing. Best of luck, just don't see it too cheap. I still regret selling my 80.
John G.
1979 Spider (Owned since 2000)
1971 124 Sport Spider (Owned since 2017)
1977 Spider (Sold 2017)
1979 Spider (Disposed of in 2017)
1979 Spider (Sold 2015)
1980 Spider (Sold in 2013)
1981 Spider (Sold in 1985)
2017 Spider (Owned since 2019)

SunnySideUp
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000 - CSO

Postby SunnySideUp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:33 pm

Unless you don't like the car anymore, keep it. Drive it. Tinker with it. Enjoy it. Sell it only when you are not physically fit enough to drive anymore.
:wink:
SunnySideUp

joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Postby joelittel » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:55 am

If you're going to sell it I'd spend the time it takes writing a detailed description of the modifications you've made.

For example, the programmable fuel injection. Most people won't understand just how sweet of an upgrade that is. It's also a great selling point for buyers who love to tinker with their toys.

I'd even include links to the vendor and Tuner Studio tables. Anything to help a buyer understand why your Spider is so much better than the next one they will look at.

I'd also consider one of the big automotive auction houses. It would take more time and effort but I've seen big money spent on resto-mod sleepers in the past.

That being said.... we'd miss you if you left.

PhillySpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Postby PhillySpider » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:24 pm

I wouldn't mention the junkyard in my listing :)

Keep it, you know you want to. :)

Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Postby Funcar » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:05 am

"should I sell my labor of love?" Says it all. Keep it!
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124

njoconnor
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Postby njoconnor » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:39 am

Keep it.

Whatever you get for it will last a 1/2 semester for the kids.

Any reason the 'Burb can't live in the driveway? Our diesel does, with no issues (even in winter!). But, I get the issues of safety/security.

For me, the "early retirement" says it most clearly: you're going to have more time, for the Fiat, and other pursuits, once you retire (and the Fiat can enable/get you to other pursuits.....like golf!). I suspect you'd be kicking yourself, and eventually, starting all over on another Spider (or other project). I'm retiring in July (not so early....like 4 months.... :) ), and I'm quite happy the Spider will be there for driving and tweaking.

Like Sunny says: keep it till you're physically unable to drive it. Then let the kids fight over it!

Best wishes with the decision.

Neil
Neil O'Connor
Madison, WI
72 FIAT 124 Spider
12 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
14 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn Eco-Diesel
ex-71 FIAT 124 Coupe
and a host of Audi's, Saabs, VW's, MOPAR's, Fords, and a Bimmer....

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:01 pm

Folks, thanks for the responses. I have to say, drove her out to cars and coffee this past weekend and I just can't sell the little Italian devil. Big smile on my face taking the long route, working through the gears on a few turns up and down the back roads of the Texas Hill Country. Top down with music barely audible over the engine. Had the usual group of young and old enthusiast telling stories of their Fiats or those of their parents, grandparents or other family members.

I'm going to keep her for now. Hopefully it is something I can give to my youngest. He is the one that has spent the most time in the garage with me. A good kid that has a few funny stories about his old man in the garage working on the FIAT to share some day.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:04 pm

TX82FIAT wrote:I just can't sell the little Italian devil.

I'm going to keep her for now.

I knew that. :)

Return to “Off Topic & Social”