1500 miles road trip in the Spider

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
SeattleSpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider

Re: 1500 miles road trip in the Spider

Postby SeattleSpider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:25 pm

brackie1,

There was no way and no time!

As it turns out, all the gears on our transmissions but 4th gear engage the largest gear on the main gear shaft (not sure I have the nomenclature exactly right - but I am not a mechanic - If I could ever figure out the picture thing on this site, I would add pictures). I had only lost two teeth on this main gear. Consequently, I could drive it, but had clicking sounds in all gears but 4th. Well, . . . 4th is an OK gear to drive in on the Freeway . . .

I was in Lander, Wyoming, and had to get to a wedding outside of Ft. Collins, Colorado (Rocky Mt. National Park). Starting up was nerve-wracking, but once I was cruising on the Freeway I was fine. Drove to Ft. Collins.

After the wedding, not really knowing what was going on inside the transmission, I decided I would tow it home. Well, they will not let you tow it with anything less that a "Box" van. I rented a van and tow dolly. BOY, do they gouge you! Ride home was uneventful . . . but . . . sure would have rather been driving the Fiat.

You probably did not see my posts in the fall of 2015 but I was asking people about the NEW transmissions available from Russia and Poland (for the 124 Sedans the Russians and Polish bought (the tooling) from Fiat in the 70s). I ended up buying a brand new Polski transmission through Auto Ricambi and so far have been very happy with it. It is exactly the same as ours except 5th gear is a little longer (a good thing).

SeattleSpider

Postby SeattleSpider » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:47 pm

Chris (Narfire),

Sounds like a great trip. From Pt. Angeles are you taking Hwy 101 around and out to the coast and down, or down Hood Canal? Both have their charms. The coast and the rainforests are prettier but would take you way out of your way. If you take the Hood Canal route you would end up back on I-5 at Olympia (I would think). Consider leaving I-5 at Kelso/Longview and taking the bridge across the Columbia to Rainier and then taking Hwy 30 down to Portland. It will get you off the big freeway. Also, you might contact FEN (Fiat Enthusiasts NW). They put together a “covered bridge” tour of this area two or three years ago: http://www.fiatnorthwest.org/

Have to comment on the “beer tasting.” You are coming from what I have been told is a great “wine road” tasting areas, and one that I have been meaning to go see (and taste) at some point soon. You are going to one of the premier Pinot Noir areas in the world . . . and you are talking beer. Burnt out on wine from your area, or just not a wine guy?

Finally, the dogs! That sounds like a major handful. How do you keep them in the car?????

John

Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Postby Jimb » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 am

Hey Chris,
Let me know if you've got time when passing thru Victoria to get together for a beer or ?
I owe you a drink or two.

Cheers,
Jim

SeattleSpider

Postby SeattleSpider » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:53 pm

WOW! Jim, do you really have a 1985.5 Volumex?!!!!! Very nice. Was it hard to import?

Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Postby Jimb » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:59 pm

Yup, sure do. Here's a pic that most here have seen before;

I'm probably importing another collector car this summer...which means I may have a decision to make regarding which one to keep :(

Jim

SeattleSpider

Postby SeattleSpider » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:23 am

I am so frickin' jealous!! That is a beautiful ride!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Off Topic & Social”