$2500 spark plug

Anything goes (within forum guidelines of course)
So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

$2500 spark plug

Postby So Cal Mark » Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:22 pm

So my brother-in-law starting experiencing a shudder in his Toyota Tacoma truck under heavy acceleration. Thinking it was auto trans related he took the truck into his local AAMCO shop. They convinced him it needed a trans overhaul to the tune of $2900. He negotiated them down to $2500 for the job. When he picked the truck up and went on a test drive with the mechanic, the symptoms were worse to the point the truck was undriveable. The mechanic told him it had a dtc of p303 which is a misfire code for cylinder #3. He brought the truck to me and I found #3 spark plug had failed and spark was arcing down the ceramic shell to ground. A new set of spark plugs cured the issue.
This is a text book example of an arcing problem.
Luckily, my bil had requested the old parts back from the trans overhaul. None of the parts that were replaced showed any wear or signs of damage. His next stop is the Bureau of Automotive Repair to open a dispute over repairs that weren't needed. But at this point it's a $2500 spark plug
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

Fiatlanta
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 124

Re: $2500 spark plug

Postby Fiatlanta » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Shady as hell. Hope he gets it sorted.

bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Postby bobplyler » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:06 pm

My wife went to AAMCO once, just to get the transmission checked. They told her it needed a new transmission. She called me, and I told her to leave. We kept that car four more years, and had no transmission problems.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:25 am

So Cal Mark wrote:... and spark was arcing down the ceramic shell to ground.

Like we say on this forum, "It's usually a grounding problem." :lol:

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Postby seabeelt » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Un believable!!!
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current

Kevin1
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Postby Kevin1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:08 pm

Recently had a similar experience at the local Mazda dealer. Shuddering, stuttering, and shaking, diagnosed as a transmission, and an estimate of $2800 to fix it. Because that was worth more than the car I declined, drove the car home, and parked it. We had planned to replace this car, but had hoped we would get a couple of more years from it. So we went ahead with a replacement.

The Mazda sat for a couple of months, trying to decide what to do with it. On a hunch I went to VIP and had the OBD codes read. All that showed up was a random misfire, so I bought a set of plugs and six new coils. Problem fixed, for under $100.00. As this was now an "extra" car, we gave it to our daughter who is still driving it today.

The dealership had all kinds of excuses for the misdiagnosis, and insisted on showing me all the awards they have won for their service, as if that helped anything. I admit, some of them were pretty and looked just like like trophies. He kept trying to explain how these "computer controlled transmissions" will act up and shift wrong if a plug misfires (?!?!) making it hard to fix. I believe they just took my word as fact, since I described the problem felt as if the car was dropping in and out of gear when crusing along at part throttle. I doubt they drove it or even plugged it into their scanner.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cars. It is frightening to think how many transmissions and other unnecessary repairs are sold to other people who only needed a tune-up. Live an learn.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Postby baltobernie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 am

Kevin1 wrote:The dealership had all kinds of excuses for the misdiagnosis ... he kept trying to explain how these "computer controlled transmissions" will act up and shift wrong if a plug misfires (?!?!) making it hard to fix.
This is believable. Ignition faults can masquerade as fuel or driveline faults. Wife's car threw fuel delivery codes at the dealer. Before commiting to extensive and expensive repairs, I searched the car forum and found several reports of coil-on-plug failures producing the same codes. Like you, I replaced all coils and plugs, and the problem disappeared. All parts, including the scanner, were less money than his (erroneous) estimate.

I doubt they drove it or even plugged it into their scanner.
This is where the dealerships failed Mark, you, and I. There's no excuse for not performing an OBD scan. My cheap Harbor Freight one has diagnosed both our modern cars; the ones dealers and repair shops use have much more sophistication. The best tool won't work unless you use it.

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 pm

So a good story about an honest kid. Yesterday I had to jump start my 2013 Acura TL after sitting for a few days while I was out of town. Car has 35K on odometer and I picked it up used with 19K OD. Thought the battery should last longer than that but figured it might need a new battery given the Texas heat. Tested battery and alternator determining it was indeed the battery, jumped it again and drove over to Autozone. The kid behind the counter said to take it to the dealership. I explained nicely that I really dislike going to the dealership for anything I can do myself. He said, "Mister, I can sell you a battery, but I think you have full or partial coverage from Acura on your car battery. It may not cost you a thing!"

I had never thought about a dead battery being covered under the warranty. Looked it up on an indeed it was covered or prorated after the first 3/36. Drove it to the dealer and they installed new $200 battery free of charge.

Drove back to the AutoZone today and slid the kid a $20 with a smile and a thank you.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

divace73
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider Silver

Postby divace73 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:32 am

TX82FIAT wrote:So a good story about an honest kid. Yesterday I had to jump start my 2013 Acura TL after sitting for a few days while I was out of town. Car has 35K on odometer and I picked it up used with 19K OD. Thought the battery should last longer than that but figured it might need a new battery given the Texas heat. Tested battery and alternator determining it was indeed the battery, jumped it again and drove over to Autozone. The kid behind the counter said to take it to the dealership. I explained nicely that I really dislike going to the dealership for anything I can do myself. He said, "Mister, I can sell you a battery, but I think you have full or partial coverage from Acura on your car battery. It may not cost you a thing!"

I had never thought about a dead battery being covered under the warranty. Looked it up on an indeed it was covered or prorated after the first 3/36. Drove it to the dealer and they installed new $200 battery free of charge.

Drove back to the AutoZone today and slid the kid a $20 with a smile and a thank you.

that nice to hear that you gave that kid a $20, wish there were more people out there like you..I like to say thank you, that sort of stuff makes my day and believe in humanity (and don't we need a lot of that lately)
Cheers David
-=1980 silver Fiat 124 Spider=-
If you want to see pics of my car (and other random stuff) >>click here<< OR
see my >>You tube channel<<

Fiatlanta
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 124

Postby Fiatlanta » Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:02 am

Whatever happened?? Did they make it right?

1985spiderautomatic
Your car is a: 1985fiatspiderautomatic

Postby 1985spiderautomatic » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:30 pm

Wow.My first and last experience with a mechanic made me a mechanic.my 1967 Beaumont convertible is some where under carp rd. I drove it to Reds sitting on a milk crate at 100 miles an hour.
The car was a piece of shit.So i was told.Doing this today would mean jail time.We are talking 40 years ago.
How does this help?
You cant fix stupid!
That car and many more are buried.This is fiat forum? People keeping 30 year old Sophia lorens alive?

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Postby So Cal Mark » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:41 am

I got an update from my brother-in-law this weekend. He filed a complaint with the Bureau of Auto Repair. They investigated and cited the AAMCO shop for 3 violations and recommended a refund. The shop refused but offered to extend the warranty for an extra year, but no additional mileage. My BIL rejected that offer. They also told the investigator that they only did a "reseal", not a rebuild despite the repair order stating in 3 places that the trans was rebuilt. The investigator recommended Small Claims court and told my BIL that with a copy of the BAR report that he would win in a slam-dunk. Of course then he has to try to collect
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

seabeelt
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: Fiat Spider - 1971 BS1

Postby seabeelt » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:28 am

That's the problem with small claims court. You win your case but YOU still have to collect. If the shop was cooperating in the first place you wouldn't need small claims court. but since the court doesn't order the offender to render restitution under any kind of penalty, most offenders just thumb their nose at the dog without teeth. I thought about it when I got the bum seat upholstery job, but MY time just wasn't worth all the time off, to go to court to get it resolved. Thank goodness we have the process, but it does leave something to be desired.
Michael and Deborah Williamson
1971 Spider -Tropie’ - w screaming IDFs
1971 Spider - Vesper -scrapped
1979 Spider - Seraphina - our son's car now sold
1972 Spider - Tortellini- our son's current

scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Postby scrapironchef » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:21 pm

All the more reason to buy you own OBD reader, you can get a very useful bluetooth one that will talk to you phone/tablet/pc and will make you a diagnostic genius. Under 5 bucks for the plug in and 5 bucks for the Torque app, it'll save you a lot of grief.

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020

Postby baltobernie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:04 pm

So Cal Mark wrote:... Of course then he has to try to collect
True, but he would be suing a brick-and-mortar shop, and a national franchisee to boot. If he could get an attorney to write an "or else" letter to AAMCO corporate, I'd say the chances are pretty good he would get relief.

Return to “Off Topic & Social”