Emblem Removal / Installation

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
PeterParker
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Emblem Removal / Installation

Postby PeterParker » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 pm

After owning and working on X1/9's for almost ten years I finally obtained the Spider I've always wanted.
That said my recently obtained 84 Pininfarrina Spider needed its emblems replaced. I purchased the emblems, opened the trunk and was ready to remove the retaining clips that were readily accessible on my X's. Low and behold NO clips! In fact no access to emblems from inside the trunk or under the insulation of the hood.
I feel like an idiot asking this but is the only way to remove an emblem prying it off.
I'd rather be an idiot and ask than possibly damaging very nice paint. Thanks in advance.

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Re: Emblem Removal / Installation

Postby TX82FIAT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:22 am

The badges are either held on buy a small nut or a plastic/rubber clip on the pins. Getting them off is a real PITA as you have limited access. I recall using needle nose plyers and it taking me some time to remove both badges and replace. Decided to use some adhesive for the rubber backing and the emblem in addition to the emblem clips that came with the new badges.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

Danq
Your car is a: 1981 2000 Spider

Re: Emblem Removal / Installation

Postby Danq » Tue May 01, 2018 2:52 pm

On the '81 i have, the rear emblem attachment hardware was hidden under in the interior bracing of the trunk lid. The PO bent the metal to gain access, about a 1/2".
Dan
1981 spider 2000

Return to “Restoration Projects”