Cleaning up the space under the wipers today

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
mamsterla
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS

Cleaning up the space under the wipers today

Postby mamsterla » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:47 pm

Today I decided to remove the surface rust in the space under the wiper panel. It has the vent and mine was just ugly. I had researched the task and decided to use POR products - the metal prep and then POR-15 black. This space is covered, so I did not mind painting it black (cue the Stones).

Here is the sequence:

Before: you can see the surface rust all over this area

During: here you can see post the metal prep. I also used a steel wire brush to help the metal prep do its thing. After the metal prep, I sanded with a block and brought out the dremel with a wire wheel attachment to get some of the corners. It really removed almost all the rust in 20-30 minutes

After: here it is after 2 coats of POR-15 black. I could have done some removal of the good original paint, but the POR-15 did cover it with the second coat.

1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS0012768

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Re: Cleaning up the space under the wipers today

Postby AriK » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Great work!
I had good luck with Por15 myself.
Many folk speak against it and have other prefences (they claim it peels away) but i believe that not enough attention was taken on the prep. Most effort should be on the prep rather than the Por15 application: Five years later, after inspection, the Por-15 still doesn't disappoint, still adheres and maintains a blinding shine.

mamsterla
Your car is a: 1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS

Postby mamsterla » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am

I am thinking I may do the floorboards down the road. Mine has some rust, though I think a little less that what you have shown. I am not happy with the old padding in there. I will probably just tear it all out, get new carpet and get some of the modern deadening material. Thanks for posting. Looks like a good thing to do in the not too distant future.
1969 Fiat 124 Spider AS0012768

AriK
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider

Postby AriK » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:08 am

I was really pleased with how the job was progressing. Much of the first photo shows rusted residue and rotted jute & tar that was left at the surface from decades of neglect. I guess that’s where the typical Fiat smell we’re all familiar with originates from. From start to finish (assuming 2-3 hrs a day after work) including carpet washing, reconditioning the delicate wire loom, grinding and proper drying time before the 3rd step Por15, it took about a week.
The results were very satisfying. There was a tiny weak spot around a drain hole that required strengthening with fibreglass cloth.
Obviously it’s a job that should be done sooner than later since the effects are irreversible.
Enjoy.

QuebecFiatSpider
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000 FI

Postby QuebecFiatSpider » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 am

Great looking job Arik, congratulations :) I'm planning to do my floor also next year like you did...

baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Postby baltobernie » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:02 pm

How about top-coating your work with some original red paint? Brush application would be fine. POR-15 says that their product degrades under sunlight. I don't know if the product weakens, discolors, or? but they do add this caution on their label.

Return to “Restoration Projects”