door latch removal

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
spiderman1
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

door latch removal

Postby spiderman1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:37 am

I need to remove my drivers door latch for a little welding repair on the end of the door right where the latch comes out of the door.
Anyone have good advice/experience that might make this process simpler? I have looked at a donor door but not sure the best way to do this from inside the door. Eventually I will be painting so I might as well get the practice of taking off the components.

Thanks for the help.

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Re: door latch removal

Postby DRUMMOND » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi Spiderman

Not sure of a simpler way but its pretty simple to take the latch out of the door. just make sure you don't crack the nylon retainer for the door handle rod (Number 4 in the diagram), they get pretty brittle in their old age, AR does have new ones!

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Re: door latch removal

Postby Odoyle » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 am

Just recently did this one on my 77. First have door cards off, glass for windows comes out next. Not hard, just use window crank to get window to position where you can remove the two Phillips head bolts with a 10mm nut on back holding the window to cable wire. Then remove the felt window guide piece (remove 10mm nut behind the circular rubber gasket on the far side of the bottom of door) Then you can remove part #5 in diagram. As for the door handle assembly, 77 is different so can't speak on that part.

Return to “Restoration Projects”