Hood install part II

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rodo
Your car is a: 1981 Spider

Hood install part II

Postby rodo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:07 am

I know, I know, I should have taken pictures and labeled things more clearly...

Just have my '81 back from painting and I noticed that the painter (a friend) bolted the hood pivots in with a variety of bolts. Or, well, I think he did. Maybe the PO did some messing about. In either case, one of them sticks out way too far. Can anyone answer: are those four bolts, the ones that hold the pivot to the body, supposed to be identical?

UPDATE: so before I can even wrestle with the bolts, I tried to get the spring/catch installed, the one at the front of the hood. Couple of questions:

1 - so, anyone else have the screws that hold the clamps for the catch break off in the welded nut? Any great solutions other than drilling the hell out of it?

2 - As the car came to me well worn, is there something sits on the metal cross member, the one to which the spring/catch mounts, some kind of rubber anything? Nothing underneath that long spring? (Am I making sense?)

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Re: Hood install part II

Postby DRUMMOND » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi rodo

what specific parts are you talking about?

The 4 bolts that attach the hood to the body via the hinges? Yes they should be the same. The long spring has rubber bushings between the hold down clips.

here is a diagram

rodo
Your car is a: 1981 Spider

Re: Hood install part II

Postby rodo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:11 am

Right, the bolts that hold the "pivot bracket" are the ones in question.

For the long spring, I have the plastic bushings (I think I would call them bushings) that hold the spring in place and are held in place by the clamps that screw down. There is nothing besides those that are to be on or under that spring, right? Thanks.

Return to “Restoration Projects”