Brake Line Question

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Sambo42
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat Spider

Brake Line Question

Postby Sambo42 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:55 am

Hi Folks

I have a question for the brains trust about brake lines. I am trying to get a brake guy to come and redo all the hard lines but it's taking forever so I am contemplating doing them myself. The original lines seem to be 4mm diameter - I'm trying to chase down 4mm diameter brake line but its surprisingly difficult in Oz where most of the car restoration market is old fords and holdens (GM) so everything is imperial. Has anyone used different diameter brake line? eg 1/4"? Or should I keep hunting?

cheers

sam

kmoses
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Brake Line Question

Postby kmoses » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 am

I used EZ Bend brake line tubing 3/16" for all my brake lines and the 1/4" & 5/16" for my fuel lines. I replaced every hard line on the car and never kinked a bend. This product is great!
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=32121&p=249723#p249723

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:42 am

You can do it yourself. It was a few years ago when IAP (now out of business) sold conifer brake lines that were the right length and easy to bend with a cheap $10 brake line bending tool you can get at the auto parts store. Just take your time with the bends and don't kink the line. To me it was worth it to buy the lines from a supplier since they were the right length with the bubble flare fitting on the end that go with out brake hardware. Below is a link to a set of hard lines for sale by Auto Ricambi at a reasonable price. You would spend almost that much on a basic brake line kit and spend hours adapting it.

https://autoricambi.us/products/brake-line-set-metal
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

MattVAS
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider 124

Postby MattVAS » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 am

If you do enough internet searching yes you can find all the bits to just make your own. That may even be the best option for you as you're in Australia. But you can purchase complete sets from we vendors here in the US.

@ Vick Auto we have both the steel lines (like original) or copper alloy lines (cunifer copper nickle). They are finished and just need to be bent onto the car.
http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=05-6311&x=0&y=0

If you get them shipped to you via US Postal Service it would cost about $60-75 USD (estimated) just for shipping.
Matt Phillips
Vick Auto - Manager
http://www.vickauto.com
Stock parts or Performance parts we've got what you need.

Broadsword
Your car is a: 1970 124 Spider

Postby Broadsword » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:44 am

Will these sets, already cut to length, suit a car in Australia that has been converted from LHD to RHD?

Sambo42
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat Spider

Postby Sambo42 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 am

MattVAS wrote:If you do enough internet searching yes you can find all the bits to just make your own. That may even be the best option for you as you're in Australia. But you can purchase complete sets from we vendors here in the US.

@ Vick Auto we have both the steel lines (like original) or copper alloy lines (cunifer copper nickle). They are finished and just need to be bent onto the car.
http://www.vickauto.com/newstore/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=05-6311&x=0&y=0

If you get them shipped to you via US Postal Service it would cost about $60-75 USD (estimated) just for shipping.

Thanks Matt - I might just do that. Here in Oz straight copper lines are no longer legal so I would need to go with the steel ones (I take it they need bending to shape?) For the RHD conversion I could just revere the front lines/switch them from left to right if they aren't already bent to shape. Any chance I could double check the thread pitch/size to make sure they're plug and play? (I assume they would be since I bought new hoses off the shelf)

cheers

sam

kmoses
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Postby kmoses » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 am

The copper nickle brake line tubing like EZ-bend Conforms to SAE hydraulic brake tubing specs and is pressure rated to 3000 psi. This is far superior to "straight copper lines" that have a burst pressure around 1450 psi.

MattVAS
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider 124

Postby MattVAS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:46 am

Sambo42 wrote:Thanks Matt - I might just do that. Here in Oz straight copper lines are no longer legal so I would need to go with the steel ones (I take it they need bending to shape?) For the RHD conversion I could just revere the front lines/switch them from left to right if they aren't already bent to shape. Any chance I could double check the thread pitch/size to make sure they're plug and play? (I assume they would be since I bought new hoses off the shelf)

cheers

sam

Our lines are the Fiat 124 thread and fit.
In theory you should be able to reverse the front lines to make it fit for RHD car. However we don't make any promises of fit when it comes to RHD since we don't have any of those cars to manually check on.
The copper lines are copper nickle alloy which should be legal for you. As mentioned previously 100% copper is the issue normally and not copper nickle alloy.

Thanks
Matt
Matt Phillips
Vick Auto - Manager
http://www.vickauto.com
Stock parts or Performance parts we've got what you need.

maxdog
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1979 spyder 124

Postby maxdog » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:37 pm

I redid all the solid brake lines on my previous car my self using steel brake line materials from my local auto parts shop . The worst part of the job was removing and refitting the lines , which were probably the first thing installed when the car was built and were almost inaccessible in places . .
You will find many U Tube videos by gummy ole boys demonstrating their brand of brake flaring tools " only $9:99 for the best flares ever" . Ignore them , the tools are made from best Chinese lead , machined using a blunt can opener , the material used to make the demo flare must be soft annealed copper . I wasted time and money on this junk
Good, well made, sensibly priced hand flaring tools exist and are capable of producing first class work IF the brake line is cut absolutely square and is de burred before flaring AND you have 1inch of dead straight tube before the flare is made ;
{ PM me if you need the manufacturer of the tool I used }
Cheers
Maxdog

Return to “Restoration Projects”