how hard is it to rebuild calipers

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Jrscobra
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

how hard is it to rebuild calipers

Postby Jrscobra » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:42 am

Every caliper on my spider is frozen up. The calipers don't move.

I have ordered all new rebuild kits for every caliper along with new pads, new springs,front brake hoses, bleeder valves, bleeder valve caps, and a few other small things that I figured I should go ahead and upgrade.

Any one with advice before I start the process? I did not order new pistons. Im hoping I can just take them out and clean them up a bit and put them back in.

My Pertronix ignition came in. waiting on the new fan, radiator fan switch and a few other little goodies to show up as well.

Hoping to be able to drive it around in the two weeks.

this winter we will be removing some rust in the quarters and a new top.

bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Re: how hard is it to rebuild calipers

Postby bobplyler » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:33 pm

Fronts are easy.

Rear are not.
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).

jlw35
Your car is a: 1975 spider

Postby jlw35 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Not sure how much all the brake hardware came to but why not just buy reman calipers from rockauto for instance. $45 or so per caliper.
Includes the bleeder screw as well. The only reason I mention the screw, is that if you haven't tried removing them yet, be very careful. If you shear one off, it is very difficult to remove.
Jeff

Odoyle
Your car is a: 1983 Pinafarina Spider

Postby Odoyle » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:33 pm

Rebuilding the brakes are not hard, and really not that time consuming, LOTS of good post on the forums will give you all the key tips. I DO recommend replacing all the bleeder screws, and the sliding wedges when your replace the seals. Also, one tip everyone forgets is to grab a wire brush and good penetrating fluid (PB Blaster) and try to clean any exposed threads on the bleeder screws so you don't strip them when removing. That tip goes for just about any nut or bolt you touch on a fiat.

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Postby klweimer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:33 pm

Be sure to check the adjustment mechanism inside the rear pistons. It's used to activate the parking brake. Don't try to take them out of the pistons, but make sure they are moving and not frozen or rusted.
Kirk

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Postby DRUMMOND » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Calipers are easy to do, very simple. Make sure you take plenty of photos during disassembly so you have a reference when you put them back together, especially the back ones. if they are all frozen be prepared to find water inside the piston seals, this may entail replacing pistons with rust damage on the seal slip. make sure you use pb release fluid overnight for the bleed screws and a well fitting ring wrench.

lglade
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Postby lglade » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:10 pm

+1 on taking photos during disassembly. The emergency brake components of the rear calipers can be assembled incorrectly, so it's worth getting some close up shots while taking it apart.
Lloyd Glade- Mukilteo, WA
1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzurra
1962 Fiat 500D - wife's car
2015 Subaru Outback
2017 Ford Focus RS

Jrscobra
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Postby Jrscobra » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Well, I bought everything to rebuild the calipers, but no one, and I mean no one could get the pistons out of the caliper. I gave up and found them locally for the front. This week I will begin the rear brakes and attempt the rebuild on those as well. If it doesn't work, I'll buy new.

Roycape
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Postby Roycape » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:13 am

Rebuilding the brakes and calipers are straightforward, just be careful not to lose the small cotter pins that hold the block in place.

If the piston is seized in the caliper and it won't budge even with heat, then you have no choice but to trash them or use them as cores for the replacement. I had to do that with one of my fronts. Sometimes the fronts get seized but you can free it up and polish off the rust on the piston but other times they are so far gone you can't do anything to free them up.

Good luck.

Return to “Restoration Projects”