'81 Engine rebuild

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
dbr
Your car is a: 1981 fiat spider

'81 Engine rebuild

Postby dbr » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:09 pm

Hello,

I took the engine out of my 1981 Fiat spider and have been slowly taking it apart and cleaning all the pieces. I have finally reached the block but ran into several problems. First off, the bolts don't want to budge off the flywheel and secondly the pistons looked problematic to me. I didn't have any issues with the engine prior to the rebuild. It all started out this past winter with just "I'll take some parts out and clean them for the spring.", but it quickly ended up with the engine completely out and all these problems. I wanted to post some pictures of the engine block and ask you guys what you think. Do I have to worry about taking off the flywheel and what do you think of my cylinders? Or can I just repaint the sides and put it all back together with new gaskets and clean parts?

thanks so much in advance.
Dexter

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: '81 Engine rebuild

Postby klweimer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:16 pm

dbr,

Hard to say by just looking at the pictures. Did you happen to do a compression test before you pulled the head off? If not, search the forum for leak down tests. I saw one just recently here, where you fill the cylinder up with something, and see how long it takes to leak down through the piston rings. Are the bores scored or otherwise damaged? Again, can't tell from the pictures.

You might consider investing in an electric impact wrench, removes even stubborn nuts/bolts with ease.

Kirk

joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Postby joelittel » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:21 pm

+1 on the impact wrench. After using it you wont know how you ever got along without it.

dbr
Your car is a: 1981 fiat spider

Postby dbr » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks for the recommendation of the leak down test. Since the dodo that I am forgot about doing a compression test, I am going to have to do that. Is the brown rim at the top of the cylinders normal. I don't recall seeing that anywhere else. Not sure how that would occur by the engine alone. The pistons pass that level at their highest. Does anyone have a clue?

Besides that rim the pistons appear fine. No real scratches or damage. Also the engine didn't sound funny or give me any problems before tear down. Yes, please don't ask why I took it apart!

Thanks! :D

Nanonevol
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Postby Nanonevol » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 pm

I couldn't get my flywheel off even with a Harbor Freight electric impact wrench. Was going to go for the lightened flywheel but at that point, after rebuilding the transmission etc., I just put it back together. Those flywheels nuts can be wicked tight.
1977 Fiat Spider
1985 Jaguar XJ6
1967 Triumph Bonneville (hard-tail chopper)
1966 BSA Lightning

Fiatlanta
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 124

Postby Fiatlanta » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:36 pm

Great pics, thanks. Looking at rebuilding my '79.

geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Postby geospider » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:52 pm

All on forum, correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the ring you see in your cylinders is just some carbonization, like on you pistons. It is probably lines up with the rings on the pistons. If the cylinders below look good, then prob OK. Something I have heard on one of the many car shows I have seen.
I have alos taken more apart than probably needed. But have also learned a lot. Actually will be fixing a mistake next weekend for thinking too much.

good luck

geo

Return to “Restoration Projects”