1982 124 Spider, Restoration Log

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Mastasmash
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider 2000

1982 124 Spider, Restoration Log

Postby Mastasmash » Sat May 27, 2017 1:05 pm

So I have a few updates in the car, after some extensive waiting and a new timing belt the engine now turns over manually, I have also made progress where the engine starts normally and the car can drive. So now I'm pretty excited, but there's still a ton of work that needs to be done.
Right now my next goal is to pull the engine out again and to completely redo all of the seals and gaskets as well as wiring and plumbing. I'm going to clean out the engine bay while I can too. Then I plan to work on the body and eventually I will get to the interior and paint. I just wanted to share this small victory with everyone.

To unlock the engine which was seized from sitting My friend and I poured transmission fluid and ascitone into the spark plug holes, obviously with the plugs removed, and waited as the "special sauce" as he calls it cleaned out whatever was keeping her from turning over. Then we replaced the spark plug wires, plugs, and timing belt, and now it's working decently. I was also able to source and new engine and transmission that was a days drive away, now we just have to go pick them up and pay for them. I'm also considering making one if the engines a turbo charged engine. I just need to decide on which one and what parts I will need. One engine is the fuel injected 102 HP engine and the other is a carbureted 82 HP. If you have any recommendations let me know, I'm still working on the website and blog but it should be up by the end of June, that's where I will post photos and updates. Thanks.
1982 FI 124 Spider

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: 1982 124 Spider, Restoration Log

Postby klweimer » Sun May 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Good stuff! Can't wait to see some pictures. Cleaning up the engine bay with the engine out is the way to go. You might want to send the radiator out for checking and cleaning while you're in there. Lots of threads here on performance options. Another option instead of a turbo would be two 2-barrel carbs. Coupled with some head and exhaust work would get you into the neighborhood of the turbo power, with more available parts.
Kirk

Mastasmash

Postby Mastasmash » Tue May 30, 2017 10:01 pm

Thanks for the input Kirk, I appreciate it. I'll definitely be looking into that.
1982 FI 124 Spider

Mastasmash

Postby Mastasmash » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:30 am

I have finally had the time to launch the website, the URL will eventually change when actually buy one, but for now this is where I will be posting all the restoration updates.

https://clayhammett7.wixsite.com/beers4fears/about
1982 FI 124 Spider

Return to “Restoration Projects”