Firewall Clearance

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
deafener
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Firewall Clearance

Postby deafener » Tue May 16, 2017 11:38 pm

Hi folks,

Over the last 18 months I and my team (mostly them) have been disassembling and now reassembling my '72 124, getting so close to finishing but have hit a snag and can't fathom it?

We replaced every bit of suspension and engine/gearbox mount with new stuff, the old gear was largely rotten.

So motor and transmission came out, new mounts and other went in... now the engine seems to sit higher and with the mods - Allison intake with dual EMPI IDFs, the rear bellmouth is barely 10mm away from the firewall and there's now no way the provided rectangular air filter box is going to fit.

I've checked and double-checked the mounts, same size as the originals, just have the engine rotated back towards the firewall with now very little gap? Anyone got any clues???

Here's a couple of pics.

Regards,

David

So Cal Mark
Your car is a: Fiat

Re: Firewall Clearance

Postby So Cal Mark » Wed May 17, 2017 12:28 am

there are 2 different sets of motor mount brackets that will move the engine location fwd/rearward, or your brackets may be
on the wrong sides
Mark Allison
allisonsautomotive.com Fiat and Alfa Romeo parts and service. Performance parts our specialty!
Headers, ignitions, wheels, cams, flywheels
starsmark@hotmail.com 909-981-3566

deafener
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider

Re: Firewall Clearance

Postby deafener » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 am

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

We did on first reinstall flip the brackets and install incorrectly, the motor wasn't even remotely close, recognised the error and set it right, so I think I'm safe in saying they're not the culprit.

The rubber mounts we used (new) are exact dimensions of the previous ones so I can't see why they might suddenly create the problem.

I'm wondering if the gearbox mount is the culprit? I'm doubt it though as the top of the gearbox is sitting just under the oval cover plate that's fixed to the top of the trans tunnel. If a longer mount was used (I see on a number of Fiat vendor sites 2 x mount lengths) it would lift the top of the gearbox into the trans tunnel opening and then foul the plate.

I'm stumped for an idea why?

David

Return to “Restoration Projects”