Replacing Master cylinder

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Replacing Master cylinder

Postby Funcar » Tue May 02, 2017 4:27 pm

My master cylinder is leaking. Here is what I have to start with.

Here is the plan. Please add your recommendations.

1. Get as many parts out of the way as I can.
2. Remove reservoir hoses at the MC and drain into a container or plastic bag. I plan on using a dremel to cut the clamps.
3. Remove reservoir with hoses attached from car.
4. Remove brake lines using a flare wrench. I have been soaking the nuts in rust release penetrant.
5. Remove MC
6. Bench bleed new MC
7. Instal new MC.
8. Put new hoses on old reservoir and instal in car and attach the hoses to MC. Hose need to be rated for brake fluid.

Concerns: I have the dual reservoir. Will the new hoses fit on both plastic nipples on the reservoir and the MC? Will the acorn nut be set properly to the new MC?

Questions: What else can I be doing when the MC is out?
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124

azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Re: Replacing Master cylinder

Postby azruss » Wed May 03, 2017 2:59 am

Hello, my friend. Glad to see such great progress on the car. Before removing the reservoirs, use a meat baster to remove as much fluid as you can. Brake fluid eats paint, so be very careful. Put a wad of paper towels underneath everything to absorb any spills. Check the nipples on the reservoirs for cracks and other damage. the MC comes off with just 2 nuts, so you don't have to get too much out of the way.
the acorn nut should be ok and not require adjusting. There are 2 sizes of nipples depending on age. The nipples can be removed from the master cylinder by carefully pulling them out from the rubber gasket. Again, inspect these for cracks as well. You may find your inner fender and firewall may be stripped of paint where the brake fluid leaked. I just got done doing this. I also replaced the booster, which is much more work than just replacing the MC.

Funcar
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat Spider 124

Re: Replacing Master cylinder

Postby Funcar » Wed May 03, 2017 9:39 pm

Russ great to hear for from you and many fond memories from our visits to Phoenix . Thanks for your recommendations and yes I have the problem of brake fluid bubbling the paint on the inner fender. Will be ordering parts from AR tomorrow so by the time they arrive in Canada I will have looked after that issue. Will also check the steering box when I have easy access.

Regards to your charming wife and hope she can handle having you hanging around all day now that you have retired. 8)
Glen
Kitchener ON Canada
73 Fiat Spider 124

Return to “Restoration Projects”