Seat Clips?

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
budzinsk
Your car is a: 1984 Fiat Spider

Seat Clips?

Postby budzinsk » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:09 am

Hi Everyone. I have a 84 Spider, and I was wondering if there are clips or something that hold the seat covers onto the seat frame? The reason I ask is I get the seat cover up under the lip fine, but when I sit on it, it starts to come out from the frame. These are original seat covers with leather in the center and vinyl on the sides. Maybe leather shrunk a little, but just wondering if there is something that is supposed to be there to hold it in place.

Thanks
Rob

davery
Your car is a: 1985 Spider

Re: Seat Clips?

Postby davery » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:22 am

budzinsk wrote:Hi Everyone. I have a 84 Spider, and I was wondering if there are clips or something that hold the seat covers onto the seat frame? The reason I ask is I get the seat cover up under the lip fine, but when I sit on it, it starts to come out from the frame. These are original seat covers with leather in the center and vinyl on the sides. Maybe leather shrunk a little, but just wondering if there is something that is supposed to be there to hold it in place.

Thanks
Rob

I have an 85 and the bottom covers are held in place by a metal (or hard plastic?) strip of metal that is sewn into the lower part of the cover. The cushion is compressed and this strip fits into a channel along the seat frame. It is held in place by the upward expansion of the cushion. I had an issue with mine of getting the strip to stay in the channel. I would get one side in and by the time I got around to the other side the first side was out. I finally realize the channel on the seat frame had been opened up a bit, so I closed it up and the strip stayed in place. Before I noticed this, I was thinking maybe the cushion had compressed with 30 years of use and was no longer able to hold the strip in the channel.
Don Avery
Dayton, OH/Sarasota,FL
1985 Pininfarina
2011 Eos
2012 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet

budzinsk
Your car is a: 1984 Fiat Spider

Postby budzinsk » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:31 am

Thanks. That sounds exactly what my issue is.... So you just tapped the channel closed a bit, and it has been working?

Thanks
Rob

profcucchi
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat 2000

Postby profcucchi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:40 pm

budzinsk wrote:Thanks. That sounds exactly what my issue is.... So you just tapped the channel closed a bit, and it has been working?

Thanks
Rob

I took a rubber mallet and closed it up pretty well, but it didn't fix it.

I carefully used very small self tapping screws with finishing washers to hold the plastic strip in place. I made sure there was enough "give" for the material to bounce back when I get up.

Is it perfect? Nope. One corner sits well outside of the channel, but it looks good and has been holding so far.
1979 Fiat 2000 "Luigi"

Return to “Restoration Projects”