repairing the electric trunk latch in my 84

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
K3PVA
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

repairing the electric trunk latch in my 84

Postby K3PVA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 am

restoring my 84 pinnafinnia spider, and now it's time to figure out the best way to go with the eltronic trunk latch. the dash switch works fine and the motor on the latch seems to be working but won't open the trunk. so not sure if this is a hard part to replace or not, so I figured I would try and fix it sence its showing some signs of life.
so I took the whole thing apart to see what the problem was and low and behold it's just a very small gear inside that's striped. does anybody know if it's worth repaing? or should i just try and find a new latch? would luv to get some impute from my fellow spider owners thx karl from va...

aevansgatech
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: repairing the electric trunk latch in my 84

Postby aevansgatech » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:46 am

Since you say the switch and motor work, could it be that the fitment of the trunk is off? If the trunk latch itself is hard to open (with the key) the electronics may not have enough power to open it.
1979 Spider 2000 (gone)
1984 Pininfarina Azzurra (for sale)
1982 Spider 2000 (here to stay)

K3PVA
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Re: repairing the electric trunk latch in my 84

Postby K3PVA » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 pm

well the trunk was very hard to open, and you can hear a very loud buzzing noise coming from the eltronic motor in the truck, so I just removed the whole latch assembly to further investigate the issue, it's kinda a neat thing to have working, so to much discussion from the wife on how she opposed of me working on this switch on the dinner room table I managed to disassemble the whole unit and it has a very small gear that pushes out a plastic arm and so the small metal gear is completely stripped. I have pictures but can't figure out how to load them. but anyway it's a small gear that is not allowing the unit to work...

Return to “Restoration Projects”