Another engine trans install question

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Re: Another engine trans install question

Postby DRUMMOND » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:35 pm

bjbrown

I used a motorcycle lift jack with wheels and tie down straps to stabilize it on the lift. (see the photos above) the combo is not that heavy it was so easy I couldn't believe it.
First thing you need to do is measure how tall the engine is from the bottom of the oil pan to the distributor. this is how high the car needs to be.
The gearbox sits on the MC lift and then gets tied down with ratchet straps to hold it in place. Then use a wheeled car jack to help lower the combo down in sync. slide it out. reverse for install (which of course is will be harder :) )
I took off the exhaust/intake manifolds, Alternator. starter motor can stay in place.
My garage has large timber beams that I attached a electric hoist to, this I used to lift the car originally onto a rotisserie, then onto cinder blocks. Then once the engine is under the car, before installing it I will lower it to car jack height with the electric hoist over head.
You could do the same with an engine hoist. I wouldn't put anything on the car until you have it off the dolly, less weight.

Return to “Restoration Projects”