Prosche Boxter Roll Bar Install Project

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
bestinclass1
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Prosche Boxter Roll Bar Install Project

Postby bestinclass1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:45 pm

A few years back, there was an individual who listed his acquisition and installation process for installing/modifying a Porsche Boxter Roll Bar however his photo journey only went so far. He depicted some "trial by error" adjustments being made but It wasn't clear to me whether this project got finished and if any other "discoveries" were addressed. I'm installing the same bar on my 1977, and I'd like to chat with that guy (anyone?) who has installed that set-up on their spider. Specifically, besides making modifications to fit within the width of a Fiat, what has to be done to make sure the top operation clears? How did you "finish" the rear area, now that the rear bench seat is gone? Since this may have limited appeal to the forum audience, I invite you to reply to my email --jdprinceco@aol.com. Thanks!

PhillySpider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Re: Prosche Boxter Roll Bar Install Project

Postby PhillySpider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:48 am

bestinclass1 wrote:A few years back, there was an individual who listed his acquisition and installation process for installing/modifying a Porsche Boxter Roll Bar however his photo journey only went so far. He depicted some "trial by error" adjustments being made but It wasn't clear to me whether this project got finished and if any other "discoveries" were addressed. I'm installing the same bar on my 1977, and I'd like to chat with that guy (anyone?) who has installed that set-up on their spider. Specifically, besides making modifications to fit within the width of a Fiat, what has to be done to make sure the top operation clears? How did you "finish" the rear area, now that the rear bench seat is gone? Since this may have limited appeal to the forum audience, I invite you to reply to my email --jdprinceco@aol.com. Thanks!

I have a roll bar in mine, with the rear bench and side panels in tact. I didn't do the install, so can't help you there, but there are obviously better options...good luck!

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:11 am

On mine you must remove the roll bar to get the inner plastic liners off as they bolt through them and into the wheel wells for the rear supports. It makes it so you can keep the original rear seat in place but is a royal pain if you need to do something as simple as replace the side emblems or anything else in that area.

A full sized cardboard template will help you size the roll bar to your car. The one they put in mine while not the Boxter model just rubs the underside of the top frame when you put it up or down. A bit lower would have prevented that however would also have reduced the amount of protection it gives.

joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Postby joelittel » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:57 am

I remember the Porsche roll bar post and thought that it looked great. I'd be interested in following any progress made on such a project too.

bestinclass1
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Postby bestinclass1 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:23 am

Making a full-sized template for testing the top's travel clearance is a good idea. (better than lugging that bar in and out) Thanks! I'd love to keep the rear seat with the roll bar but I can't imagine anyone being able to get back there once installed. Heck, there's no adult that can sit there now. .....although I did transport 5 adults to their home in the winter time with the top down .......and there was no alcohol involved. I do plan to post the finished look of my roll bar installation but I'd like to avoid too much "trial and error" during the fabrication. I do plan to fabricate a custom bikini top which will ride upon the roll bar and attach upon the trunk lid, giving the roof line a longer and much lower profile.

Return to “Restoration Projects”