seatbelt mount 1983 Spider

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
1983Pinin
Your car is a: 1983 Pininfarina

seatbelt mount 1983 Spider

Postby 1983Pinin » Sat May 21, 2016 10:36 am

Hello,

I have replaced my 19823 Pininfarina Spider seatbelts using a set bought from "Fiatparts" in Germany. Belts are nice ( I'll sell the old ones if anyone is interested in rebuilding--webing is frayed on one belt), but my question has to do with the mounting position of the belt spool. The original belts were held to the rear bulkhead by two bolts. New ones only had one bolt hole which had me wondering. I noticed the old units had a piece of metal with two bold holds that slipped in between the spool and the one- hole mounting piece. So I answered that question on my own....

The question I now have is the old toilet-paper question. Should it roll out of the top of the spool or the bottom? The belt can roll out the top or the bottom of the mounted piece depending on how it's bolted in-- does anyone know the correct positioning?
If I was smart I would have noticed how the originals were mounted, but I pulled them out days before I installed the new ones. FYI I ended up installing with the belt spooling out from the bottom---My usual issue is that I do things completely reversed from correct, and I am worried that I did this wrong. I hope the Permatex loosens up when I need to go in and reorient after someone tells me I did it wrong.

Also, I was surprised that the bolt heads are not metric-- was using a metric but noticed when I bore down that the socket was slipping-- those bolts are SAE....

--Peter
--Peter

1960 something 850 Spider in 1974-1976
1970 something 124 Spider 1977-1980
Currently 1983 Spider 2000

DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Re: seatbelt mount 1983 Spider

Postby DRUMMOND » Mon May 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Hi Peter

I have a 1980 spider, Seat belts come out from the top.

Richard

Return to “Restoration Projects”