Foam Rubber insulation on boot and gas tank

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
spiderman1
Your car is a: 1982 Fiat Spider

Foam Rubber insulation on boot and gas tank

Postby spiderman1 » Sun May 15, 2016 8:29 am

I have completed the POR 15 of the Floor, Tranmission chanel, Trunk bottom and Gas tank.
Under the inner boot that fits over the gear shift as well as the lip of the gas tank that sits on the trunk, there are pieces of foam rubber.
I assume they were for noise reduction, and heat insulation or to keep the tank from rattleing.

Here's the question.
Do they hold moisture and cause rust? Would it be better to use a dynamatt type product that would hold less moisture?
Has anyone used an alternative product? Where would you buy the foam if I went that route? I might just cut my own piece out using the tank and old piece as a template.

lglade
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1984 Pininfarina

Re: Foam Rubber insulation on boot and gas tank

Postby lglade » Sun May 15, 2016 8:57 am

I'm not sure about your rust question, but it stands to reason that anything that can trap moisture will help initiate rust. That said there's a lot of heat in the trans tunnel area, so it may not allow moisture to accumulate. Others here will be more knowledgeable than me on this particular topic.

But, Autoricambi has a new one if you're looking: http://www.autoricambi.us/product/TR3-422/Inner-Shifter-Boot/
Lloyd Glade- Mukilteo, WA
1984 Pininfarina Spider Azzurra
1962 Fiat 500D - wife's car
2015 Subaru Outback
2017 Ford Focus RS

Return to “Restoration Projects”