'67 Fiat 124 Berlina - build and maintain

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
grrrdot
Your car is a: 1967 124

Re: '67 Fiat 124 Berlina - build and maintain

Postby grrrdot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:16 am

geospider wrote:Oh man, you had to cover that cool header..
my project is way more everything than when we talked.
great to see yours moving along
George

Uh oh, A Fiat project spiraling out of control? No way! :shock:

-G

grrrdot

Postby grrrdot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 am

baltobernie wrote:Your photo shows where the leak emerges, but is that where it originates? Wouldn't an oil leak from the engine rear main seal also appear here, the lowest point?

So I pulled the trans and bell housing. This bell housing zig zags on the passenger side like this:

So, looks like the bell housing gasket is not wide enough for the 1438 bell housing to seal all the way. In the picture below the black part of the gasket was exposed to outside while the copper part was mated. So when cool it didn't leak but once warmed up it would drip. I'm thinking its time to ditch the paper gasket and make my own using RTV.

baltobernie
Your car is a: 1973 Spider

Postby baltobernie » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:34 pm

The engine has a rear main seal. The transmission has an input shaft seal. I am under the impression that the bell housing is merely an adaptor from the engine to the transmission, and does not contain lubricant. Therefore a gasket is unnecessary. Am I mistaken?

grrrdot

Postby grrrdot » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 pm

baltobernie wrote:The engine has a rear main seal. The transmission has an input shaft seal. I am under the impression that the bell housing is merely an adaptor from the engine to the transmission, and does not contain lubricant. Therefore a gasket is unnecessary. Am I mistaken?

I'm pretty sure the back of the bell housing sees the same level of oil as the rest of the transmission.
The oil will flow through the bearings and in the photo above the hole to the right of the bottom most stud goes clear through into the trans.

-G

Return to “Restoration Projects”