Marvel Mystery Oil

General chat about the car goes in here.
RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Re: Marvel Mystery Oil

Postby RRoller123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:16 am

Next time the head is off, take some and brush the carbon deposits with it and a tooth brush or a brass brush, and it is apparent that it has some solvent action with the carbon deposits. But it is no miracle. I think SMALL amounts of it in the gas are more useful as an upper cylinder lube. Maybe to help keep the injectors clean, but that is what Seafoam is mostly for.
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Postby Turbofiat124 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Europa wrote:You have a Trabant in the US?

Since Photobucket has started charging people in order to use photos in forums, I'm not sure if you can view this photos or not.

http://s222.photobucket.com/user/turbof ... t=6&page=1

Turbofiat124
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 turbo

Postby Turbofiat124 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:55 pm

GeorgeT wrote:Back in "The Day" some shade tree mechanics would put a mixture of oil and varsol (mineral spirits) 50/50 in the crankcase and run for a few minutes; this would break up the deposits and solubilize the sludge. The mixture would be drained and the process repeated until the fluid came out clean. If there weren't oil in the mix, even at idle the bearings would gall.

My Yugo has't ran in awhile. It needs ball joints and tie rods.

I started it last summer and it tended to smoke a bit. I think one of the rings maybe stuck because it didn't smoke last time I had it on the road.

I thought about spraying the cylinders full of PB blaster and letting it sit overnight. Would Seafoam or MMO work better? I've heard of people using ATF also.

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Postby DieselSpider » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:37 am

Turbofiat124 wrote:
GeorgeT wrote:Back in "The Day" some shade tree mechanics would put a mixture of oil and varsol (mineral spirits) 50/50 in the crankcase and run for a few minutes; this would break up the deposits and solubilize the sludge. The mixture would be drained and the process repeated until the fluid came out clean. If there weren't oil in the mix, even at idle the bearings would gall.

My Yugo has't ran in awhile. It needs ball joints and tie rods.

I started it last summer and it tended to smoke a bit. I think one of the rings maybe stuck because it didn't smoke last time I had it on the road.

I thought about spraying the cylinders full of PB blaster and letting it sit overnight. Would Seafoam or MMO work better? I've heard of people using ATF also.

SeaFoam won't lubricate like Mystery Oil however if the rings are stuck badly you may want to consider getting a gallon of PB Blast or Liquid Wrench to pour in there. Mystery Oil would work too however it might be cheaper to forget them all and just get some Berrymans B12 which is vastly superior to Seafoam and mix it with Kerosene or Atf and fill each of the cylinders with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of that allowing it to soak in for several days.

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”