Olio pumps

General chat about the car goes in here.
Baz
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Olio pumps

Postby Baz » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:39 pm

My spider is a 1977 with 2ltr motor. Recently did rings bearings and all in sundry . Ordered a new oil pump for it from Vic auto. Pump duly arrived in Oz, but the bottom half to the pump (pickup) was too long for the sump that came with the car. After some to and fro with Vic it was determined that I have a low profile sump to allow for the deeper engine. The sump was of of a special Fiat rally whatever. The only option I had was to take the new upper pump half and join it with the old pickup. Not a great option, but Vic told me that a new pump for the unit I took out would be next to unavailable. so we forged on. The pump works and have boosted the oil pressure to where it should be, but as previously mentioned here I have a growl I can't identify on start up which goes away when engine is warm. The only thing it can be is the miss matched oil pump. We have replaced all belts, water pump idler bearing, ashtray etc and the noise persists. Surely someone else has experienced this as I'm told the engine swap was a popular option....turned 68 now and just had a colonoscopy and need a cheer up (although I did get rid of the last piece of wedding cake.....) any help etc etc
Baz.

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”