A true spider milestone

General chat about the car goes in here.
riverdadd
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1975 Fiat Spider 1977 Alfa Spider

A true spider milestone

Postby riverdadd » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 pm

ok, so i grew up with Fiats... blah blah... had maybe 30 or so...... in the 70's you could buy 3 for 500 bux....ect...128, X19,spiders, sedans.... no one wanted them....... fast forward to today, I spent the day with my 16 year old daughter, teaching her to drive my "old" car...... (see my avatar) in the modern world of automatic everything, it was so rewarding to see the smile on her face to actually drive a stick shift. It kinda brings a tear to this old eye to see the next generation driving an old Fiat.........

klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Re: A true spider milestone

Postby klweimer » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 am

Nice. My daughter has always loved driving my Fiat. She had a stick shift Saab in high school. Built like a tank, not very fast, but she was always safe in it.
Kirk

DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

Postby DUCeditor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:44 am

How nice for you! :) :) :)

I've observed that there are relatively few young car enthusiasts today -- at least by the standards of my generation. And among the relative few I see the majority are into the hotted up Asian sedan scene.

But once in a while I am surprised by a youthful reaction to my `77 124. "Hey mister! Nice car!"

What's amazing to me is owning a car that is still fresh and new in my eyes -- a "forever" timeless design -- that is seen by others to be an antique.

But then again the design for the 124 Spider is now over fifty years old. In the terms of my own youth, having started driving in 1964, that's a car design from about 1910. Achhhh!

Is the car that "aged"? I admit I cannot see it that way. Not like, say, a Morgan or an MG TC. Those are old classics. My 124 is, in my eyes, just shy of yesterday.

-Don

An old man in an "old" car?

Last edited by DUCeditor on Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Italian motorcycles. An Italian car. An Italian wife. What more could a man desire?

DUCeditor
Your car is a: 1977 FIAT 124 Sport Spider

Postby DUCeditor » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:48 am

deleted - double post
Italian motorcycles. An Italian car. An Italian wife. What more could a man desire?

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:28 pm

riverdadd wrote:I spent the day with my 16 year old daughter, teaching her to drive my "old" car...... (see my avatar) in the modern world of automatic everything, it was so rewarding to see the smile on her face to actually drive a stick shift. It kinda brings a tear to this old eye to see the next generation driving an old Fiat.........

Congrats! My 12 an 10 y.o. daughters pretend to argue over "who gets the car" when I'm done with it. :)

My older one is very cautious (a good downhill skiier, but also plots her course carefully) and is nervous in go carts; my younger, meanwhile, when in doubt just goes faster. Doesn't matter what it is, go carts, bicycles, skiing -- she's a speed junkie. (No kidding, we went zip-lining by the Niagara Falls and she complained it was boring). She'll probably drive the Fiat first. ;)

Congrats to your daughter. What a rite of passage!

Cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”