Your ownership experiences

General chat about the car goes in here.
russtfender
Your car is a: Alfa Romeo S2 Spider

Your ownership experiences

Postby russtfender » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:47 am

Hi,

I'm writing a buyers guide on the (classic) 124 Spider for a leading classic car magazine – I was handed the brief as a past '85 Pininfarina Spidereuropa owner.

It's mostly done but I need to include the real-life ownership experiences of a couple of owners. The good and bad times you've had withyour car, what problems you've had to overcome, and how. That kind of stuff.

If you can help out, please reply either here or email me direct at russ.smith@gmx.com

Thanks

russtfender

Re: Your ownership experiences

Postby russtfender » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 am

Thanks to the guy with the '79 Spider in Canada for sending across some excellent stuff.

Just need one more now...anyone? :D

wubie317
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat Spider

Postby wubie317 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:11 pm

Not really about ownership, except in that it's how I got mine. Maybe good for a laugh?

https://deathbyfiat.wordpress.com

TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Postby TX82FIAT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:56 pm

A couple unique times. I've owned three of these in my lifetime. A 79', 83' and 82'.

The 79 was purchased for $500 hundred dollars in the early 80's and sold when I went to college. It was a poorly maintained car that was held together with whatever parts and information would keep it moving. It sprayed coolant on my dates leg. It sputtered smoke from a head gasket leak. The doors sagged and never locked. Still, I loved that car and it never left me stranded. Sold it for $1,000.00 to an enthusiast disclosing the head gasket and other issues. The guy restored the car and I almost bought it back.

The second was an 83' purchased in the 90's. The car was owned by a university professor who took great care of it. Car functioned perfectly in all aspects. Driving it in the hills of PA one day a Nissan Maxima was on my tail on some 15 mph turns twisty roads. I downshifted and accelerated through a u shaped turn and noticed the maxima did not emerge from the turn. The big and heavy maxima slid off the road into a tree. Driver was alright but could not understand how the little Italian car could take the turn that fast. Won Primo Di Oro at an Italian car festival. Sold that Car in 2004 for three times what I paid for it so I would have a more practical car for a growing family.

The 3rd was an 82" purchased in 2009 off evil bay. We now had a suburban to haul around the kids. The car broke down on it's maiden voyage around the neighborhood. After many years of Fiat ownership I'm now that guy with a broken down fiat on the side of the road. It gave me the opportunity to meet three different neighbors who helped me push it up the hill back to my garage in 102 degree Texas heat with my then eight year old steering. After a few beers and many FIAT comments/laughs, I got to work on the car. She has not let me down again. This one might be the keeper.

There is just something about the lines and sounds of a FIAT spider that keeps me coming back for more. There is a commonality of cult like ownership found in some special classics. The Spider is one of them.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban

russtfender

Postby russtfender » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:28 am

With thanks to those who have contributed, we have enough now and the feature is done and dusted. For those interested, it will appear in the September issue of Classic Cars (which is Thoroughbred & Classic Cars if you are reading this in America).

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”