Big grin, major milestone!

General chat about the car goes in here.
zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Big grin, major milestone!

Postby zachmac » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:09 pm

So, first drive today after a very long period in which I did a lot, engine rebuild, suspension rebuild, all new interior, etc, etc, etc. In any case drove it to the alignment shop, got it aligned and it tracks, goes and stops like new!!! Very happy camper; back among the living / driving. Lots of little to do things on the list yet but overall very pleased. No leaks to speak of, runs cool, shifts smooth; life is good.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

nelsonj
Your car is a: 1972 Spider 124

Re: Big grin, major milestone!

Postby nelsonj » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Congrats - great news and a great feeling when all the hard work (and $$$) final gets results your happy with.
How about some pictures?

Peace.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800
Romans 10:9

zachmac

Postby zachmac » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:32 pm

Here are some pictures. Lots of details to tend to yet but driving! Yes the seat belts are a priority! :D

Last edited by zachmac on Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

RRoller123
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 FI SPIDER 2000

Postby RRoller123 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:36 pm

Nice!!!
'80 FI Spider 2000
'74 and '79 X1/9 (past)
'75 BMW R75/6
2011 Chevy Malibu (daily driver)
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Ext Cab 4WD/STD BED
2002 Edgewater 175CC 80HP 4-Stroke Yamaha
2003 Jaguar XK8
2003 Jaguar XKR
2021 Jayco 22RB
2019 Bianchi Torino Bicycle

joelittel
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI

Postby joelittel » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:07 pm

Your car looks beautiful, I love that red.

Congratulations on a successful rebuild, that is no small task.

nelsonj

Postby nelsonj » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 pm

Very, very nice. The interior looks wonderful (low back seats?, and a 83ish center consul and mirrors? I hope it doesn't rain!). Did you do anything interesting to the 2L? Looks like a custom header.

Again, very nice, and congratulations. By no means a small task and looks very nice.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800

zachmac

Postby zachmac » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:07 am

nelsonj wrote:Very, very nice. The interior looks wonderful (low back seats?, and a 83ish center consul and mirrors? I hope it doesn't rain!). Did you do anything interesting to the 2L? Looks like a custom header.

Thank you for the compliments.

I went with higher compression pistons (4 mm dome) and a full overbore. Shot peened the rods, balanced and blueprinted everything during assembly. Had moderate porting done and the valves slightly un-shrouded while the machine shop freshened the head. Isky springs. Of course all new gaskets and bearings everywhere. Cut the lobe off the end of the aux shaft. New water pump, alloy crank and water pump pulleys. EMPI progressive carb. Allison's head gasket and head bolts. Earlier single plane intake. Gear reduction starter, 95 amp alternator, and a 12inch electric fan and 175 degree external; thermostat to keep it all cool.

I'm not sure whose header that is as it was on the car when I got it. It is coated with a jet-hot like substance as is the down pipe. I also have a 4-2 manifold and down pipe so I am still debating which to use. Lots else I haven't mentioned but those are the main points. I have a lightened flywheel as well but the way they machined it it was a hair to close to the block and fouled the starter gear when just spinning. I realized later I could have just inserted a shim between it and the block but by then I had the stock unit and tranny back in the car. Maybe a project for some future date or I'll sell it off.

Car pulls strong. I have a friend here in town with a stock 76 I sold him so we'll do some side by side pulls and compare.

Oh, and not low back seats; just haven't had time to re-upholster the head rests yet. :D
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

nelsonj

Postby nelsonj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:22 am

This engine sounds really, really nice. My next rebuild I want to get the compression up to around 9.8. I'd like things balanced, but I've never understood what "blue printing" is/does.

Did you do anything with cams?

Also - with the higher compression piston, I understand the 2L will become an "interference" engine (sorry, cutting the lobe won't address the piston valve issues). Just FYI.

Again, sounds great - I'd love to do some of the work you've done. Any plans to dyno it to see what you have? You should be in the 110HP range (just a guess).

Again, very nice and sounds like it will be a blast to drive.
Simi Valley, California
Spider 1800

zachmac

Postby zachmac » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 am

I used some modeling clay during a dry assembly to check valve to piston clearances but yes, it is definitely now an interference engine. That just means I better keep the timing belt in good condition and everything lined up! However, if I were to break a belt or slip teeth I would be looking at bent valves at the best. But I'll accept that risk for the extra umph! :D The aux shaft lobe was just to eliminate the possibility of #2 rod cap interference as I run an electric fuel pump.

Blueprinting is just assembling everything with all the clearances and torques in the middle of the spec range.

I think I am probably mid 9s for CR. I didn't CC it and measure. I wanted the 4mm domes versus 5 mm in case I decide to go with bigger valves later. BTW, I didn't go with bigger valves as the rpm range I want to operate at on the street really doesn't justify the time / effort and expense. Stock setup will flow plenty of air beyond what it is normally called on to do.

I didn't put hotter cams in for now although I may later but I did use earlier cams versus the mild FI cams. I was just trying to build a very reliable but strong street car and I wanted smooth idle and not to have to mess with exotic cam timing.

I have the 123 ignition with several advance curves available so I still need to do some carb / timing / advance tuning to dial it all in to perfection. But right now it starts with a bump of the key and runs well so no rush on that. :D
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

TStark
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Postby TStark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:39 am

Outstanding.

Just wanted to remark that my new (two years ago) gear reduction starter also interfered for a bit, causing a hideous noise. When i saw where it was scuffing, gave its Bendix a roll on the bench grinder, took an 1/8" off .

Maybe not give up on the flywheel, as i've since suspect some GR starters are dimensionally compromised.

phaetn
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat Spider 1800

Postby phaetn » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:30 am

I love the look of the car, especially the engine bay. Congrats on all your work!

A couple of quick questions for you: I have the same curb. Is that fuel pressure gauge also a regulator? Do you find it useful?

Secondly, I love your wheels! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get them? Any issues with fit? I have a lowered '74 small bumper so I have to be careful with space, but I'm thinking about 15 inch wheels with 205/50 tires. I really like the open spokes on yours.

Thanks and cheers,
phaetn
1974 CS1
32/36 DFEV; CompuTronix ign.
9.8:1 c/r; 40/80 intake cam w/ Isky springs
Vicks' SS header & adj. cam pulleys
A/R's progressive coils, Koni Yellow dampers
205/50-15s on CD-66 style rims
Momo wheel, Corbeau seats w/ 5 pt belt
pics and HD vids

zachmac

Postby zachmac » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:34 pm

phaetn wrote:I love the look of the car, especially the engine bay. Congrats on all your work!

A couple of quick questions for you: I have the same curb. Is that fuel pressure gauge also a regulator? Do you find it useful?

Secondly, I love your wheels! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get them? Any issues with fit? I have a lowered '74 small bumper so I have to be careful with space, but I'm thinking about 15 inch wheels with 205/50 tires. I really like the open spokes on yours.
Thanks and cheers,
phaetn

Thanks for the compliments. Fuel pressure gauge is gauge only; the pressure regulator is in the trunk just past the outlet of the pump. I mounted the pressure gauge close to the carb in the engine bay so I knew what the pressure delivered to the carb after any line losses was. I wanted to make sure I had adequate delivery while also not so high to overcome the float and flood the bowl. Once set however it is really just ornamental. On the other hand any drop off due to a clogged filter or other issue would be indicated.

Wheels are Team Dynamics. I bought them from AR. However, neither AR or VAS sites currently shows them in silver (VAS has dark ones showing). I know several purists don't like them because they think they are "too modern" but that is exactly why I do like them, they "update" the car's looks IMHO. I get lots of compliments on them and they have the right offset. No issues with clearance at all and I'm on progressive springs.
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”