Tire brand / size recommendation - 82 Spider

General chat about the car goes in here.
elston36
Your car is a: 1982 SPIDER 2000

Tire brand / size recommendation - 82 Spider

Postby elston36 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:51 pm

It's finally spring in Wisconsin and been driving the "little car". Time for some spring maintenance.
My 185 60R 14 (5 1/2" wheels) BF Goodrich T/A Radials are cracking all the way around the sidewall, about 1/4" deep. Since I recently realized that these tires are 14 years old, it's past time to replace them.

Would appreciate advice on what tires to buy.
Background:
- '82 Spider, just turned 60K miles, upgraded to some aggressive brake pads, rear sway bar, K&N air filter, and gas shocks a few years ago. Had Pirelli P7's on when I bought it. Like glue, but they were 12 years old and self-destructed soon. Put on the Goodriches, and was disappointed in the loss of straight-line and cornering traction. Pretty easy to power-slide around a corner (but still fun).
- I put only about 1,500 miles a year on the car. I don't drive super hard, but like to play on country roads and the occasional laps on track at Road America. Have never had the car over about 95 mph.

- The car has seen snow once in my 14 years, and sees rain when I guess wrong. I don't often drive it if the temps are below 50 F. I store the car in my unheated garage winters, where the temps can go to -30 degrees F.

- My goal: Better dry pavement traction and handling. 2nd importance is low noise & comfortable ride. I get it that there will be trade-offs. Snow traction not a factor, and tire life is not important, as these also will die of old age before I can wear them out.
Hope to stay around $400 for a set out the door if possible, but that could be a bit flexible. Budget dictates that I prefer to keep the 14" wheels for now.
Been looking at Riken Raptors and Firestone Champion Fuel Fighters. Another option is the Tiger Paws, but I've never liked Uniroyals much. I've had 3 sets over 40 years, and they've always slid in the wet.

Please give me some recommendations for brands/models, and also does it make sense to change size, to 195-205, etc. or 65 or 70 series.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Donald

Texafornian
Your car is a: 1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Tire brand / size recommendation - 82 Spider

Postby Texafornian » Wed May 17, 2017 10:29 pm

I just put Falken Azenis on my 14" Turbo rims. They were on sale for ~$65 each at Tire Rack. They are a summer tire, so grip great. I was also pleasantly surprised at how much quieter/smoother they were than the brittle Dunlops I replaced. 195/60R14
Daniel

1977 Fiat 124 Spider

Gatorman
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Postby Gatorman » Tue May 23, 2017 11:13 pm

I haven't driven on them yet but I just had my 14" wheels powder coated and put on Yokohama S-Drive summer tires based on forum recommendations. 185/55/14 is the only 14" size available; $80 from Tire Rack.

elston36
Your car is a: 1982 SPIDER 2000

Postby elston36 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 am

Thanks Daniel,

I had been looking at the Azenis. Decided on these vs Firestones and Uniroyals. I've had 4 sets of Uniroyals over the last 30 years (came with the cars). All of them were good in dry or snow, but slide in the wet.

Got the Falkens through my local dealer, Baumgart Tire in Appleton. $72 each ++.
Drove them 2 days and they are sticky! I tried to slide around a corner, which was easy with the Goodriches, and could not. Too much traction. (I understand these are basically autocross tires.)
The bad news: after 2 days noticed a large bulge in the front left tire sidewall, right at the rim. Carefully drove back the 1/2 mile back to the dealer. Mfg. defect in this tire.
These are getting hard to find. They found one in Maryland. Should have it this week.

There is an old style - rt615k, which I bought. NOTE: There are warnings on the Falken website about using these tires in low temps.
"Azenis RT615K+ is not intended to be driven in near- or below-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

There is a new style - rt615k+ - with a slightly different compound and about $20 more/tire.
The new rt615k+ tires include this warning:
"Extreme Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Extreme Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

I store my Spider in the winter. Will make sure I put her on jack stands from now on...

Donald

Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Postby Jimb » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:57 pm

I just got home from having BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP 2, 195/50R15 (stock size) installed.
What a difference!!
Love em.

Jim

Return to “Fiat Spider Related”